List of Psychological Disorders (T-V)

1. TRANSVESTIC FETISHISM

Etiology

There are different theories related to this disorder, many stemming from the psychoanalytic camp. They suggest that childhood trauma (e.g., sexual abuse, or other significant sexual experience) or significant childhood experiences can manifest itself in exhibitionistic behavior.

Symptoms

This diagnosis is used for heterosexual males who have sexually arousing fantasies, urges, or behaviors involving cross-dressing (wearing female clothing). To be considered diagnosable, the fantasies, urges, or behaviors must cause significant distress in the individual or be disruptive to his or her everyday functioning.

2. TRICHOTILLOMANIA

Etiology

Typically occurring before adulthood, it has been demonstrated that between one to two percent of college samples have this disorder or have had it in the past.

Symptoms

The primary feature of this disorder is the recurrent pulling out of one's own hair which results in significant hair loss.

3. VAGINISMUS

Etiology

There is a relationship of this disorder with victims of rape and sexual abuse, strict religious upbringings, and issues of control.

Symptoms

Recurrent or persistent involuntary spasm of the vaginal muscles that interferes with sexual intercourse. It must cause significant distress and not due to a medical condition or another disorder.

4. VOYEURISM

Etiology

There are different theories related to exhibitionistic behaviors, many stemming from the psychoanalytic camp. They suggest that childhood trauma (e.g., sexual abuse) or significant childhood experiences can manifest itself in exhibitionistic behavior.

Symptoms

This disorder is characterized by either intense sexually arousing fantasies, urges, or behaviors in which the individual observes an unsuspecting stranger who is naked, disrobing, or engaging in sexual activity. To be considered diagnosable, the fantasies, urges, or behaviors must cause significant distress in the individual or be disruptive to his or her everyday functioning.