Chapter 4

Chapter 4

                Shadekit’s world spun around him. NO! I belong to ShadowClan!

                Starlingflight guided him back into the medicine cat den. “Are you okay?” she asked worriedly.

                Wait…don’t panic. I just need to gain their trust and then I’ll be able to escape! “Yes,” he managed. “I guess…I guess I’ll give ThunderClan a chance.”

                Starlingflight still look concerned but didn’t respond. She fed him another poppy seed and Shadekit drifted back into sleep.

***

                Shadekit left the medicine cat den again the next day and felt an ache deep inside his heart, a fierce longing for ShadowClan. He forced it away. There’s nothing I can do about being stuck in ThunderClan for now.

                A light brown she-cat walked over almost immediately. “I’m Poppystar, ThunderClan’s leader,” she introduced herself. “So, Shadekit, how do you feel about staying in ThunderClan?”

                “ThunderClan is a decent Clan,” Shadekit replied. “But I miss ShadowClan…I would never forget ShadowClan.”

                Poppystar nodded with understanding. “You have great potential to be an outstanding warrior, Shadekit. We’ll do the best we can to help you reach your goals and train you well.”

                Shadekit wanted to scream with how unfair this was. Instead, he just nodded. Why do they force me to stay with them?

                Poppystar glanced across the camp to where Honeykit was playing with a gray tom. “You don’t have to stay in the medicine cat den anymore. From now on, until you’re an apprentice, you can stay in the nursery and play with the kits.”

                Shadekit began to walk towards Honeykit. “Okay.”

                NOW GO AWAY, POPPYSTAR!!!!!

                “Hi, Honeykit,” he meowed.

                The golden she-cat abandoned the moss-ball game. “Hi, Shadekit! My mother told us that you were probably joining us in the nursery today! This is my brother, Stormkit!”

                Stormkit dipped his head to Shadekit. “Welcome to ThunderClan, Shadekit.”

                At least these cats are nice. I can’t take my anger out on them, it isn’t their fault Poppystar is forcing me to be a ThunderClan cat.

                “Thank you,” Shadekit meowed.

                Honeykit’s eyes scanned the camp. “That gray-and-white tom over there is Splashkit. And the golden tom he’s play-fighting with is my other brother, Lionkit.”

                Shadekit studied the two kits for a moment before turning back to Honeykit. “Does Splashkit have any siblings?”

                Honeykit nodded. “Yes, he has a brother named Mintkit. He’s sleeping right now though.”

                Shadekit didn’t know what else to say. There was an awkward silence for a moment. Finally, Honeykit spoke. “Want to play moss-ball with us?” she asked.

                Shadekit cheered up and temporarily managed to erase ShadowClan from his mind. “Sure!”

                As they were playing, a white-furred tom entered camp with fresh-kill in his jaws. That’s the tom who hurt Snaketooth!

                Trying to sound nonchalant, Shadekit meowed, “Who’s that?”

                “His name is Cloudstorm,” Honeykit replied. “He’s our deputy.”

***

                Moons passed. Shadekit looked for opportunities to escape but was constantly watched by either Starlingflight or Poppystar. At night, there was always a cat guarding camp, and he feared being caught in the act.

                Not everything about ThunderClan was bad. Most of the cats were nice and he’d found good friends in Stormkit, Lionkit, Splashkit, Mintkit, and Honeykit. Honeykit was the closest of all…and although he’d never say it out loud, he was in love with her.

                The apprenticeship ceremony for Splashkit and Mintkit was concluding. Shadekit joined ThunderClan in cheering for the new ‘paws. “Splashpaw! Mintpaw! Splashpaw! Mintpaw!”                         

                Honeykit bounced over excitedly with Lionkit following close behind. “Shadekit!” the golden she-cat purred. “Splashpaw and Mintpaw are apprentices! Which means in a quarter-moon, we’ll be apprentices too!”

                “Great!” Shadekit exclaimed, and he truly meant it.

                Because if I’m an apprentice, surely it must mean they are starting trust me. And then, shortly after that, I’ll get my opportunity to escape.

A/N: Shadekit was only a little over 2 moons old when he was captured and now he's nearly 6 moons old, the age of an apprentice! :O

Also, just so you know, I finally gave this story a description...lol

Anyhow hope you enjoyed, thanks for reading, and please comment :D