ღ Chapter 8 ღ

June 2, 2016

Jacob Perez
  "Look at him..." I heard Ray say as I walked through the door with 2 dozen roses in hand. They were sitting in front of my door when I arrived from running errands. They were from Chresanto.

  "Is he.- Jacob, for the past two days you've waltzing around here, grinning like crazy-" Jai said.

  "You're practically glowing- oh my gosh." Ray said with his mouth open. "Did you and Chresanto do it? Is that why you're so happy?"

  "No, we didn't do it." I said simply, placing the flowers in a vase with water on the dinning table. "Something must've happened over the weekend that you're not telling us. People only smile like that for two things. Good dick and good money, which is it?"

  "You been getting your eagle on?!" Jai gasped and Ray fell over, laughing. "I swear, I love your sister."

  "I haven't even seen my boyfriend since Friday night." Ray said, referring to Jamie who has been with Karen and Joey since Sunday. "Jamie is with him gammy and papa."

  "Stop beating around the bush, Jacob. Spill the details." Jai grabbed my arm and sat me down on the floor with her and Ray. My phone made a noise, signaling a recent notification. I opened the message.

Chresanto 💙😋 (4:37PM) - I hope you like the flowers.

I sent him a reply, quickly.

Me (4:37PM) - I love them, thanks 😘

Chresanto 💙😋 (4:37PM) - Call me when you get the chance.

I started to reply but I figured why not just call him now. I called him, he answered on the first ring. "That was fast." He chuckled.

"I wasn't doing anything... So what's up? How was your day?" I asked, twisting a strand of my hair. Jai and Ray were being kiddish, making kissy noises and mocking me. I fanned them off and focused back on my phone call.

"My day is great, now that I'm talking to you." I tried to hide the smile on my face but I couldn't. He chuckled, probably sensing my smiling. "But, I have a big gig tonight. Catering for the Mayors ball and I would love for you be my date."

"Re- really?" I cleared my throat. "You wanna take me to the Mayors ball?"

"What?!" Ray and Jai whispered, their fooling around came to a halt as they scooted closer to me, eavesdropping in on my conversation.

"Yes." He said

"I'm flattered, Chres. I don't know what to say."

"You can start by saying yes..."

"O-okay, I'll go with you." I stuttered. I had never been to a ball or any type of formal event, besides a family wedding. I didn't go to my high school prom or homecoming dances. Even in college, I would always stay in my dorm, studying when it came to formal events. For one, I never got asked to the events and two, I didn't want to be criticized or labeled.

"Good, I'll pick you up at 8."

"Okay- wait."

"Yeah?"

"What do I wear?" I asked "You could wear nothing and I would be okay with it. But, if you do that we won't make it to the ball and I won't get my check up front." He laughed "So, a simple suit and tie is just fine."