chapter 7

Ariana doesn't like being alone.

Their first class of the day had ended about an hour ago, and now she sits by herself in the cafeteria. She'd been called to the meeting hall to receive her wand almost immediately after class ended, and now in her hands laid a beautifully carved wand with a few light pink gemstones worked in. In the right light, they sparkle wonderfully. Ariana smiles to herself, pleased with the way it turned out.

Camila had been called up right before lunch started, and Ariana is forced to sit at their table all alone and wait anxiously until her friend returns. She doesn't like being alone, especially in a crowded room like this. She's constantly worried that everyone is staring at her, wondering why she has no one to sit with.

"Hey, Ariana, right?"

The smaller girl jumps and looks up when someone's voice interrupts her thoughts. She's somewhat relieved when she sees Lauren standing in front of her with a tray, giving her a soft smile.

Unsure of what else to do, the smaller girl nods.

"Is it okay if I sit here?" Lauren asks, glancing behind her. "I was gonna try and sit with Dinah, but... I think she's busy..."

Ariana tilts her head to the side and looks behind Lauren, where Dinah is awkwardly sitting at Ally's table. Ariana can tell by the way she's looking at Normani, though, that she's there for a reason. But judging by her thoughts, she still hasn't worked up the courage to say anything. Ariana finds it funny how she's never seen Dinah this worked up over a girl.

She quickly nods when Lauren clears her throat awkwardly, waiting for an answer to the question. The smaller girl gives her a shy smile and points to the spot across from her.

"Thanks," Lauren breathes a sigh of relief and sits down, placing her tray in front of her and picking at her food. She looks up and finds Ariana studying her new wand with a soft smile on her face.

"Did you just get yours?" Lauren asks, trying to keep a friendly conversation. Ariana nods, holding it out questioningly for Lauren to see.

"It suits you," Lauren laughs softly, carefully taking it into her own hands and turning it around a few times. It's simple, but it's elegant. And the smaller girl across from her seems to adore it.

She hands it back to Ariana, growing confused when the smaller girl nods towards her backpack. Lauren tilts her head to the side and holds up the leather bag in her lap. "You want to see mine?"

Ariana nods with a shy smile, making Lauren laugh softly at her innocence. She reaches into her bag and pulls out the leather case, handing it across the table to the smaller girl.

Ariana slips Lauren's wand out of her case with the utmost delicacy, her jaw nearly falling to the floor. It had been gorgeous when she saw it from far away, but it was even more amazing now that it was only inches away from her face.

It has to be one of the most intricate wands she's ever seen. The carvings are so detailed that Ariana thinks she might need glasses to see them properly. But the real thing that leaves her speechless is the stunning white jewels that line it. They turn from crystal clear to solid white as she turns the wand around. She can't help but shake her head in disbelief.

Just as she's about to hand it back to Lauren, Camila's backpack slams down on the table next to her. The smaller girl jumps and quickly hides the wand in her lap, meeting Lauren's eyes pleadingly.

"Fucking machine doesn't e—," Camila clamps her mouth shut when she notices the extra person at their table, and looks at Ariana in confusion.

She needed somewhere to sit. Ariana meets Camila's eyes pleadingly. She doesn't want her to get mad at the girl. Because so far, Ariana likes Lauren. And Lauren hasn't done anything wrong to either of them.