Chapter 2

I woke up the next morning to the wonderful smell of bacon. I rolled over in the sheets, I suddenly realized that I'm not in my bed. I sat up quickly, then I remembered what happened.

I laid back down and began to cry. I can't believe I ran away, but it was for the best. Rakim seems like a nice guy I can trust, he is also very attractive.

I wiped my tears and got up. I stretched and walked into the bathroom and began to wash my face.

I plugged in my flat iron and went back into the room and sat down at the vanity to do my makeup.

I kept it simple and wore lime crime's Teddy Bear matte lip stick with blush and winged eyeliner.

By the time I finished the flat iron was ready. I straightened my black and blonde hair and curled it at the ends.

I picked out a black babydoll dress and wore lace socks with black pumps with ankle straps. I looked in the mirror put in my nose rings and was satisfied with my look.

I left the bedroom and walked into the kitchen to see Rakim eating a plate of bacon eggs and hash browns. He smiled, "Good morning beautiful, theres a plate for you in the microwave."

I smiled and got my plate out the microwave and sat down. "I have to work today so you have the house to yourself. Call this number if anything comes up." Rakim said finishing his plate and grabbing his keys.

He wrote his number down on a post-it-note and put in on the counter and left.I sat down and began eating breakfast. For a guy he's not that bad of a cook, but he can't season at all. 

I searched the kitchen for salt and pepper. I couldn't find anything. All this man had was a carton of eggs, milk, OJ, juice, booze, and frozen meats and some ice cream.

I went ahead and ate my breakfast and got a uber. I decided that even though I would love to stay here with Rakim, I have to get a job and save up for an apartment.

I went to Target and spoke with my old boss. "Hey Ms. Alice, I'm so sorry I haven't been to any of my shifts, I've been having a lot of issues in my home and-" I was cut off.

"Oh my gosh Melanie are you okay?! Your grandma called and said you were missing. Come on I have to take you home."

"No Ms. Alice wait!" I said. She gave me a funny look. "I don't want to go back, I ran away. And I'm 18 now so by law I'm no longer under her authority."

Ms. Alice sighed, "Melanie, you at least need to let her know that you're okay, she's been worrying so much and she's so old, it's not good for her to worry."

"Ms. Alice, there's some things you don't know about my family, Grandma could care less about me. The only reason why she's kept me for the past few years is for that big check she gets every month, now I'm 18 and she's made that clear."

Ms. Alice looked I to my eyes for a second then sighed. "You never lost your job, your shift starts in an hour. I hope the best for you Melanie, Do you have your uniform?"

I thought for a sec, "No, I'm so sorry I left it in the laundry room at my grandma's house." 
Ms. Alice smiled, "It's okay Melanie, let's go get it now, I'll go with you."

Ms. Alice has been so nice to me I don't want to argue with her. "I don't know what's going on so if anything is going on don't be surprised."

We got into her white Toyota Prius and headed towards my old house. We listened to music on the way.

When we arrived, we got out and knocked on the door. Grandma answered the door and started to shout. "YOU LITTLE BITCH YOU THINK YOU CAN RUN OUT ON ME LIKE TH-" Ms. Alice shoved past her "C'mon Melanie let's get your stuff."

When I walked in the familiar smell of cannabis and urinal cakes seemed stronger. I scrunched up my nose and headed towards the laundry room.

I could hear loud moans coming from my brother's room, must be another prostitute he picked up.

I grabbed my uniform from the laundry room along with some other of my things. I also managed to get my record player and my record collection.

I turned to leave but I heard running footsteps. "Melanie wait!" My brother called. I turned around to see him in only boxers.

"How could you just leave me like this, we could've left together, and why did you take my weed?"

"Timothy, you are addicted to cannabis, you are 24 years old picking up prostitutes from the street corners. I want to do something productive with my life, I'm sorry but I can't stay here, I can't stay here with you."

"But Melanie, I'll change. I- I promise, I swear, just don't leave me." He replied getting anxious.

"I'm sorry Timothy, but you can't just change so easily, you should go to college and get an apartment and get the hell out of here, but I have to go. Goodbye Timothy."

He grabbed ahold of my wrist and pulled me down I tried to get up but he threw me over his shoulder I screamed and but him in the back and then grabbed a lamp and hit him with the stand. He threw me down and I grabbed my things and ran out of the house with Ms. Alice.

I heard gunshots from within the house, Ms.Alice looked at me and she practically threw my things in her car told me to get in and she burnt rubber.

While we were heading back to Target I called Timothy. My "grandma" answered, "Hey little bitch. Little Timmy and his whore is dead. It's all your fault." She hung up the phone.

I screamed and burst into tears. Ms. Alice slammed the breaks. "What the fuck Melanie?!" I couldn't breathe, It's all my fault. Timothy is dead.

I dialed 911.

"911 what's your emergency?" I tried to speak but the tears kept coming. "Ma'am calm down. Take deep breaths."

I breathed. "My brother, he's dead. My grandma killed him. She shot him." The man on the phone kept a calm voice. "Ma'am where are you?" I looked at the nearest sign. "I am passing Heron Blvd. I just left the house, my old house's address is 1527900 carousel lane."

"Were sending an ambulance and a police officer to your old house, are you safe?" He asked. "Yes sir, thank you." "No problem honey, we'll take care of your grandma, don't worry." I hung up the phone and cried.

"Melanie, let me take you to where you are staying, you clearly need the rest of the week off." Ms. Alice said with tears in her eyes.

I nodded and directed her to Rakim's house. I sighed and closed my eyes praying that this is only a dream, Timothy is still alive, mom and dad are happy like they were before the still born baby, and I was still little crybaby." The car came to a stop and Ms. Alice helped me carry my things into Rakim's house. Ms. Alice gave me a hug and went back to work.

I took the weed out of the night stand and searched the house for rolling paper. I grabbed a glass and a bottle of liquor. I went to the patio and rolled a joint and lighted it. I tilted my head back as I exhaled the smoke.

This is my life now, I'm a murder, I'm worthless, I'm nothing but a buck toothed bitch that uses people.

I took another hit, and sighed. Why can't I just die?