Worried

Should I go call her or something?

No...

I shouldn't.

It's not right to worry about her anymore.

But...

No, I'm still her friend and I have a right to worry!

Do I really...?

*sigh*

Sungjae messed his hair up in confusion. He has been staring at his phone for eternity already, contemplating whether to contact Joy or not. He was worried and wanted to ask her if she's okay right after he heard the news about their performance.

I don't care anymore, I'm calling.

As he dialled her number, his heart beat faster.

One ring...
Two rings...
Three--

"Yeoboseyo?" Her voice rang through his ears, and he still couldn't believe he's hearing it again. Gosh, he missed her badly.

"Sunbae, are you there?" Ouch. What happened to oppa?

"Ah yeah... Annyeong!" He tried to sound as casual as possible despite a mixture of elation and disappointment.

"Annyeong! Why did you call?"

He sighed. Better get this over with right away. She sounds fine anyway. "Aniya. I just...heard about what happened in one of your performances... G-gwaenchanha?"

A couple of seconds passed and the line was silent. "Sooyoung-ah!" He didn't care. He wanted to call her that.

"Ah neh... Yes, I'm okay. Thanks for checking up on me."

It was a relief to hear that she was fine, but he seriously can't stand the coldness she's been giving him.

"Yah!" He suddenly exclaimed.

"Pardon?" She asked, obviously bewildered by his sudden outburst.

"Yah why are you talking to me so formally! I haven't talked to you since the last day of filming and this is how you treat me? I finally took up the courage to contact you after such a long time but I didn't know you'd be so eager to forget me already!" He blurted out continuously. He didn't realize what he was saying until he finished. "J-joy, mianhae, I didn't mean to sound so--"

"It's okay. I'm sorry for being too cold..." And after a short pause, she added in a softer tone, "...oppa"

And suddenly, he felt bad for screaming out of nowhere. He sighed as he stared into space, imagining Joy to be right in front of him before sincerely saying, "Mian, I really... I just miss you Sooyoung-ah... Neomu bogoshipda..."

He was nervous when once again, he didn't hear from her, until he caught her silent sobs and sniffles. "Yah, you're crying again, are you?" He didn't want to sound too serious, because he knows.

"Oppa... Don't do this again, please. You're only making it harder for me. I've been trying to forget... I know, I'm sorry... But with you doing this, just a little bit of affection you show me, every single feeling I have for you comes back. And it just keeps on hurting me because I know it can never happen... We can never happen."

His heart hurt for the girl on the other line. He realized just how important he was to her... How much that girl cared for him. And again, he felt like he didn't do enough while he had the chance.

"Sooyoung-ah, I'm sorry..."

"No don't be."

"Yes I have to be sorry. I'm sorry for not explicitly showing my feelings. I'm not good at that. You don't know how much I regret holding back my tears during our last day. Hey, please, I don't want to hear you crying." He hoped his sincerity reached her through the phone call.

"Ne, I'll be fine oppa. But... I think I should go now. Thanks again for calling." She cleared her throat as if to block the tears from falling.

"Geurae? Okay then... Hey, text me when you're free okay?"

She was surprised but she said yes, and then ended the call.

Right after, Sungjae made sure that their connection will never be lost again. And he texted her,

"You don't have to cry again. I'm willing to fight for you, whatever anyone else says. I'm not making the same mistake of taking you for granted. I'm fighting for us Sooyoung-ah. Saranghae. You rarely hear that from me, but it's the truth. And no, I'm never letting you go again.

See you tomorrow bbyu~! ^^"