Skeletons in the Closet

Chapter Fourteen

Skeletons in the Closet

A week went by and the renovations were expanded, making it to other rooms in the house. The household felt closer now that Addy knew. It was like they could talk about everything out in the open. Desmond began using a little more magic, which Elli frowned upon but couldn’t stop. Noah started going for late night runs and leaving through the front door instead of his bedroom window. Richard remained reclusive and Kate’s behavior did not change although she spent more time with everyone else.

Elli woke up early that morning and made herself some coffee, having an unusual craving for some. Noah came down and joined her in the dining room, a steaming mug in his own hands. She looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

“You look like crap. What happened?” she asked him bluntly.

He sighed, not even remotely offended by her statement. “I was up late last night...”

“Doing what?”

Another sigh escaped his lips. “Talking to Richard.”

...

Noah was in his room when he caught the scent. It was strange and yet familiar. He frowned, fairly certain he knew what it was although unsure why. He stood from his chair and exited the room, following his nose. It took him to Richard’s door. Noah knocked and entered the room after there was no answer. Richard sat on his bed, leaning on the wall it sat against. His knees were drawn up to his chest, his head leaned back into the wall, and his eyes were half closed. For the first time Noah had seen, the skin on his arms was exposed. The sleeves were pushed back. A syringe rested to his left, empty of its contents.

“What are you doing here?” Richard wondered, opening his eyes long enough to look at him before allowing them to lazily drift shut.

“Ever heard of a drug-sniffing dog?” he replied, sitting down beside him on the bed.

He snorted. “So you’re the resident police mutt?”

“Might as well be.” They fell silent for a moment. Noah listened to the sound of Richard’s breathing, which was much slower than normal. He broke the silence.

“Why?” he asked. He needed an answer to that question. He needed to understand. He could never approve of it, but he had to have an explanation. He hadn’t seen this behavior coming. Richard didn’t act like a drug addict. Yet, that was heroin he had injected into his arm. It wasn’t healthy. It was kind of completely terrifying.

“Peace. You have no idea what it’s like. Every time I touch something, I have a vision. If I brush against someone in the hallway or grab a fork or even open the fridge, I have a vision. I can’t buy used clothing and even then I feel the need to wash the hell out of new clothes to hopefully ensure that I don’t see anything about the people who made them. Sometimes that doesn’t work. I can’t date. I get to die alone, like every other member of my family with this stupid curse. I can’t even dream in peace! Do you know what happens when a seer sleeps? They see their own future. Except, the future is constantly changing so there’s no way to rely on those dreams. Even the good things might not happen. I never have peace. Except in moments like this.” He wiped some tears away from his eyes. “Why are you here?”

“I was concerned.”

“You should go back to your room, Noah. You can’t possibly help me and I’m concerned that your presence is going to somehow trigger a vision, which would utterly defeat the purpose of this.”

“What if something happens to you? You could kill yourself.”

He chuckled darkly. “In no death vision have I seen myself killed by drugs. Besides, as soon as I picked up the syringe, I would know if that would kill me.”