Chapter 9

Kenji's family runs a small green tea business that they live on top of. I don't tell anyone where I'm going when I decide to head over there the following Saturday, and immediately begin to regret it once I'm climbing the front steps. Knowing it's too late, I knock on the door, even though a sign out front reads that they're open.

A woman answers, smiling at me and ushering me inside. Being a hafu, I probably look like a tourist. "Welcome, welcome," she tells me in English. "Please come in."

I spot Kenji towards the back of the room, dragging a large barrel across the floor, his arms bulging under the sleeves of his T-shirt. He stops and wipes at his forehead before he sees me.

To my surprise, he waves at me. "Hello," he says. "Amaya-san."

"Hi," I manage to get out before collecting myself and rembering the reason for my visit.

"Would you like some tea?" the woman who came to the door asks me.

I nod. One cup of tea never hurt anybody, but can the same be said about Kenji?

I watch as he grabs two ceramic tea cups, pouring the tea with steady hands before slipping two rubber ducky topped silcone tea covers over the elegant stoneware.

He leads me outside as though he already knows something's up.

"Thanks," I say as he hands me my teacup. The steaming brew burns my tounge but I sip it anyway to keep from having to spill what's on my mind.

The silence gets weird and I'm forced to say something, anything, so I say, "Have you heard anything?" Realizing how awkward that sounds, I add, "I mean, has anyone heard anything?"

He shakes his head. "I don't know."

We sip our tea in silence.

"Kenji," I say, finally. "Miyako was at my house that night."

He glances up at me. "Oh?"

"She came to drop off my biology book. And get some copies of my dad's books signed."

"Mmm," he murmurs.

"My mom drove her home that night," I say. "And now the police are questioning my parents."

Our eyes meet, Kenji's thick eyebrows sloping upwards over his dark brown eyes.

"How did you get those books?" I ask.

He looks away but not before I catch the alarm in his eyes. He bows his head and places the silicone tea cover over his cup.

"I am the fan of your father," he says, in English that's surprisingly good. "Not Miyako. I was too embarassed, so I asked her to get the books signed for me."

A flare of excitement washes over me, not just because of the confession, but at the thought of being the daughter of Kenji's favorite mangaka, like it might give me some kind of status.

"Miyako brought the books over that night. I told her I could get them at school but she insisted. She must have left after your mother dropped her off." He looks at me. "I'm only two houses away. What could have happened to her?"

A fog has begun to seep in from the coast, clouding the rest of the deserted street and blocking out the sun, causing me to shiver. I grip my warm cup with both hands, wishing I could move closer to Kenji. Instead, I lower my voice, causing us to lean into each other.

"You have to tell the police that you saw her that night. Don't you think it's important?"

"Yes," he tells me reluctantly. "But my parents, they're very traditional."

"They don't know about Miyako?"

He shakes his head. "They don't know I read Ego."

"Hey," I say. "My dad's stuff isn't that bad."

"It's not, it's--" I watch him search for the right word. "Sugoi."

We smile at each other and I almost forget what I'm doing.

"You should tell the detectives," I say softly. "They should know every step Miyako took. And that my parents didn't have anythng to do with it."

He nods.

"Kenji," I say suddenly. "Did you say Miyako lives just two houses away from you?"

His eyes move behind me. "In that house."

I look over my shoulder, can see the tall arching roof on the other side of the house that seperates Kenji's from Miyako's. The street street suddenly feels too quiet. Where is the rush of activity, the police cars that should be parked out front?'

I feel a chill rush over me realizing I had been walking alone on the same street she disapeared on just moments before.

"I better head back to my house," I say.

"Should I walk with you?" he asks.

"Aren't you working?"

"Yes. I just didn't want you to be scared. Unless you don't get scared."

"Why wouldn't I get scared?"

He shrugs.

"Well," I say, handing my teacup to him. "Thank you for the tea. I'll see you at school."

Stupid, I think, as I make my way down the stairs. Why didn't I let him walk with me?

I gaze up at Miyako's house as I walk by, but find myself averting my eyes. I feel like if I keep staring, I might see her in one of the windows, staring back at me.