[4]

It was no surprise to Colton that when she returned, the mood fo Isabella Swan had not improved in the slightest. She was still on the verge of being diagnosed a catatonic and had yet to show any sign of actual life. Colton assumed that she would be the exact same if she hadn't fled from Forks when she had the chance.

The sunny California coast had done wonders for her 'Post-Edward Blues' -and she also was extremely tanned which was an ultimate plus- and she was feeling ten times better. Her friend, on the other hand, - apparently- was even paler, thinner and acted as if she had to hell and back repeatedly over the summer, which Colton knew for a fact was how it felt when you were left pining for someone who declared that they never wanted to see you ever again.

But while Colton did seem better, and did, in fact, feel better, the words the Edward had weaponised to tear their bound apart still made an appearance in her mind at least once a day. They echoed in her sleep which resulted in numerous nights at the gorge that once separated two species but now simply just split the woods in two. Sam and his ever growing pack of mongrels had been keeping a watchful eye on her ever since she had returned, which had only been a day ago as if they expected her just combust on a whim and shift into a wolf. It was possible but Colton had come to the conclusion that as long as she kept herself relatively calm, she could live the rest of her life as a normal human.

That was if she kept herself calm. Which proved extremely difficult as Colton had perhaps the shortest temper an 18-year-old girl/not really a werewolf could have. Bella was now her top priority. From the emails she had been sent over the break from the girl; she was not recovering.

Which was why the first thing she did her first morning back in Forks, she showered the day before of travel from her skin. She then threw on the cleanest pair of light blue washed jean avaliable and a red and black checkered shirt that she was sure was Jacob, not that it would fit him now that his muscle mass had doubled just in the short span of time Colton had been away. She had gotten up to late to make breakfast and was yet to be hungry for lunch so she left straight away, happy to be back behind the wheel of her beloved 1998 Ford. Colton went straight to the Swans with the intent of seeing Bella and making herself a cup of their coffee because she was seriously lacking in the caffeine departmant.

"I don't know what to do with her Cole," He sighed in defeat, running a hair through his dark hair, brown eyes cast down. . "It's exactly the same as you left. I just- I don't know what to do with her Cole. She just isn't right."

Colton had known Charlie Swan to be a very composed man, awkward at moments, but she ever rarely saw him distressed over something that wasn't a baseball game. Which was why she was rather shocked by his appearance when he had welcome her at the door. Light, but noticable, purple bags hung under his eyes and he looked exhausted. A perpetual look of concern traced his well worn features even when he was simply pointing her to where the coffee had been moved, apparently Bella had moved it when she had gone on one of her now complusive cleaning sprees.

"I hope me leaving didn't make anything worse." Colton said quietly, avoiding eye contact as she stared into the milky brown depths of her coffee.

An assuring hand clamped down on her shoulder with an awkward pat and she looked up. "You had to leave Colton, Bella knows that. I only wish that she had gone with you."

"I asked; she said she didn't want to."

"She thinks he's coming back." Charlie stated, bitterness plain in his voice. "She's afraid that if she's even out of Forks for a day, she'll miss him."

"He did a number on her." Colton agreed, not wanting to say anything else because while she definitely felt some sort of resentment towards Noah, she knew exactly where Bella was coming from.

Colton left out the part that Edward had also done a number on her but she had just become used to conceleaing it due to years of concealing most of her feelings.

"I just don't get it. You're best friends and Edward left you but you seem fine, what's the difference?" Charlie asked and seemed to instantly regret his question as Colton visibly flinched as he spoke his name as if it had burned her skin. "Sorry."

She shook her head and gave him a reassuring smile that would have been foreign a little less than a year back when all there was to care about in the world was herself. While she knew that she was a better person -in some ways at least- Colton found herself almost wishing for the days when she was self-absorbed and oblivious to the world of mythical beings around her that she was in fact a part of in her own twisted, messed up way.

But with Edward and Noah gone and if they were wise, they would never return. There was no trace of them except for the empty house and the burning memories that like the shapeshifter blood that run in Colton's veins; would never go away. But it was then, when everything was officially gone that Colton fully noticed how unarmoured she had become thanks to the medling of Edward Mason Cullen. She felt things that she had forced herself to never admit and she had loved, god, she had loved like nothing she thought was possible.

Thanks to Edward Masen Cullen; Colton Black had been left defenceless. Not that anyone need know that their was still a bullet wound where Edward had shot her the day he had left still deep in her heart. No, no one need know that.

"It's fine. Bella and I are just very different. What she had with Noah was also different to what I had. I just wish there was something I could do to help her." Colton admitted softly, head sagging in helplessness.

"Cole?"

Colton froze at the broken whisper, gaze flickering up to Charle who was staring at the owner of the voice with a look of poorly concerned worry. She turned and suddenly, felt as though all the air had been stabbed from her as she stared at her best friend, or what was left of her best friend.

Her eyes burned at the sight of the girl who seemed to have become even more fragile since the day they first met. She was oddly pale and if Colton thought that Charlie looked exhausted, the fragmented on the girl who stood before her looked dead.

"Oh Bella."

shitty update, but an update none the less.