Prologue

Mr and Mrs Lane. Soon-to-be-not-to-be.

They sat on opposite sides of the table, although ironically, this was the closest they had been to each other in a long time.

"My client and I are proposing a-"

"With all due respect, Mr Ross, Mrs Lane would like to first present her deal that suits her and favours your client. Here is her offer, feel free to read it over. My client is proposing to give your client everything he has in his name. Most of their accounts are separate anyway so they can each keep their own. The joint account they have shall be divided fairly, he gets what he put in and she receives what she put in. Here is the total balance according to this script sent by the bank, my client knows that most of the money is from him and his businesses and she doesn't intend to take what she didn't earn. A request was put into the bank requesting statements from the bank on the origins of all the money in that account and less 10% came from my client and the rest was from him." Her lawyer looked at her for final confirmation before continuing.

"So in that agreement I gave to you, she only gets the percentage she contributed and he gets the rest. Like I previously stated, any other personal accounts are personal and they remain personal. She doesn't want any of your client's money. Lane Industries was started by Devon Lane so he shall be keeping it all, she doesn't want any shares. The main house and the beach house will be given to Mr Lane. Anything my client owns, bought by Mr Lane, will either be sold, sent to charity or returned to your client. The restaurant he bought her will either be sold or if your client wants it, returned. Mrs Lane has decided to return the jet, helicopter and yacht bought for her by Mr Lane back to him-"

At this point Devon decided to step in, he didn't know why but the fact that she was returning everything he gave her that had so much meaning and many memories hurt him deeply. He decided to cut her lawyer "Keep the yacht and restaurant at least, they are yours, they are named after you 'Myrani', please". He knew that was not the only reason but he didn't want to reveal the true reasons in front of the two lawyers. Their first date was in that restaurant as well as when he had bought that restaurant and refurbished it to her liking, renamed it Myrani then proposed to her at its opening. The nights they spent on the yacht, after their wedding, she gave herself to him, as he did to her. He named that yacht after her. Did that mean nothing to her?

"No. I want nothing from you. This divorce means you and I are officially separating. I don't want anything that reminds me of you. All memories and possessions are being returned with this divorce. New memories, new start, a new life. No more of you, nothing  to remind me of what once was. I think we are done here, everything is in that agreement. If you have any questions or anything please contact my lawyer. If you'll please excuse me, I need to take my leave." With that she rose to her feet and turned to leave, ignoring the heated gaze being sent her way. She hurriedly left the office and the building. She needed the comfort loneliness had begun to offer her lately, she could release all of her pain, sorrow and anguish. She was broken but she wasn't aware of just how bad the damage was. Like shattered glass, irreparable and useless.

If only.

The two words that had been haunting her for 2 years now.

If only she had seen it coming.
If only she wasn't so naive.
If only their love had been strong enough.
If only she had seen the signs.
If only he had been faithful.
If only she had held his heart tight in her hands when she had the chance.
If only she was strong enough.
If only he could have forgiven her.
If only she could conceive.
If only.

And now, those 'if only's' were deepening the deep gashes already there.

No glue on earth is strong enough to piece her heart back together. No force strong enough to hold her together anymore.

The wound has been made and it's too late to try closing. The glass has shattered and it won't repair.

Irreparable.