The Decision

None of the Ithwonian party were allowed to leave their rooms for the rest of the day. Alkanion sat staring into the fireplace, pondering the future. An assassination attempt was nothing to be taken lightly, regardless of who it came from. The perpetrator was obviously poor, probably connectionless, and likely insane, but that meant nothing in diplomacy; if he so chose, Pedilas could accuse Galvir of violating the Peace Treaty that bound together all seven nations, and the whole continent would fall into war. Alkanion shuddered to think of how Pedilas, with his relaxed schedule and easygoing presence, would fare in an actual battle. He sank into the chair, drawing a deep breath and trying to imagine how the king planned to proceed.

It wasn't until the next morning that the situation was deemed safe enough for them to roam the palace again. By that time, the would-be assassin had been thoroughly interrogated and charged with Seventh Treason--the worst kind, representing a threat to all of Amral's nations. He was due to hang in the afternoon.

"He did not deny his guilt," Galvir said, informing them of the trial over an Ithwonian-style breakfast. "In fact, he was more than happy to confess. He was very... vocal about his opinions, and I believe I speak for all of Ashtabar when I say that we found them as offensive as you did. His views, I hope you understand, are those of one deranged, and do not reflect Ashtabaran culture in any way."

Pedilas nodded. "Yes, I understand. Please, don't worry; I have no intention of taking this to a Council."

Galvir visibly relaxed, even cracking a small smile. "One man should not be the cause of global war, after all."

"I agree." Pedilas turned to Alkanion with a broad grin. "I believe I owe you my thanks, Alkanion. You were the one who blocked the blow that would have been my end, and for that I will be forever indebted to you."

Alkanion shook his head. "No, please. I was only doing my duty as your heir."

Pedilas let out a loud laugh. "Your duty as heir! A lesser man would say that your duty as heir would be to kill me yourself! You are better than most, to be sure!"

"You've found quite a gem in that boy," said Galvir, "To be quite truthful I was appalled when I first heard that Ithwon chose its royals from outside the royal family, but, seeing how your chosen one comports himself, I'm sure all the nations will be lucky to work with him."

"Thank you," Pedilas accepted the accolades, while Alkanion gave his best bow of humble recognition. It was a flattering compliment, but to his mind it was likely empty flattery, meant to get on his good side before he took over. After all, the queen would be a fool if she didn't realize that the very magic in Alkanion's blood gave him a power she could never hope to possess, that gave him the capacity to be superior to her in every way.

The breakfast conversation continued, growing more and more amiable as the evening progressed--and as more and more food appeared on the table. Pedilas had a weakness for good food, one that he hid well behind his thin frame; any savvy person--be they royal, noble, or just a man off the street--knew that the quickest way to put the king in a good mood was a good bottle of wine and a hearty meal. It seemed, Alkanion grimaced internally as he watched Pedilas's face grow increasingly more jovial, that Galvir was no exception.

"Will we all be attending the hanging?" Alkanion interjected into the royal's small talk.

"Ah, yes, if you want to. The guards have deemed it safe," Galvir replied.

Alkanion smirked. "Excellent. I will be more than happy to see such a lunatic get his just rewards."

"Doubly so for me," Pedilas agreed, raising his cup in a subtle toast to justice being served, then using it to wash down a particularly large bite of bread.

At what time is the execution to take place?" Alkanion asked, glancing down at his watch.

"Two-thirty," Galvir answered.

"About four more hours, then." Alkanion rose from his seat and looked at Pedilas. "I will meet you there."

Pedilas raised his cup once more in recognition, his mouth still full. Alkanion smiled politely and bowed before walking away.

After he had shut the door to his room, Alkanion slid to the ground with an exasperated sigh. The king was a good man, to be sure, but there were times when he could only be described as incompetent. To forgive an assassination attempt as if it never happened--the man was setting himself up to be Ashtabar's doormat!

He sat down at his desk, taking out some paperwork from his trunk that he'd brought to work on during the expected moments of boredom. Thus engaged, he spent the next four hours in a focused trance, working right up to the minute when the execution was taking place. Jumping up, he sprinted to the execution room right as the bell struck two thirty.

It was a grand room, far bigger than Ithwon's counterpart. In Ashtabar, public hangings were a far more anticipated event, Alkanion realized as he looked out over the crowd of spectators.. The people of Ithwon did not get so enthusiastic about death, not even the deaths of treasonous criminals like this man. Alkanion stood up straighter, trying to hide his disgust.

By the time he had milled through the crowd to the place where Galvir, Pedilas, the general and his wife stood, the villain whose demise the people were so excited to witness already had the noose around his neck. Being charged with sedition, he was not allowed any last words, but, with a gagged mouth, was forced to sit in silence for some minutes while the crowd jeered and cursed.

The criminal--Alkanion realized he still didn't know his name--bore it well, never taking his flaming eyes off of Pedilas. He glared with passionate fury, as if by his very gaze he could finish the dreadful act he had tried to begin. Unfortunately for him, such a thing was impossible. Alkanion smirked, even though he was fairly certain the criminal was too preoccupied to see it.

The jeering lasted a full fifteen minutes; Alkanion assumed Galvir must have been trying to prove the people's loyalty to a peaceful order. Shifting around, Alkanion began to wonder if the actual hanging was ever going to happen. But then the executioner released the board, and the fire in the culprit's eyes dissipated.