The Girl Who Was With Him In Other Worlds

Once Sakura's heart settled down, she realized that while she should stick to the facts, it didn't matter whether or not Darkseid's daughter had been taken by someone in Bruce's world. Punish an entire planet for the sins of one or even a few? That hardly sounded fair. In fact, it sounded more like Sasuke wanting to punish all of Konoha for something the Council had done. And even though she loved Sasuke it wasn't something she could ever condone. So she couldn't make the exception for someone she didn't even know.

Sakura and Bruce talked quietly about what they were going to do to in order to escape with Superman. What it was coming to was Sakura making a distraction while Bruce helped get Superman out, but seconds before they could enact their plan she heard, "Our Mother Boxes!" Someone else cried, "They're activating. We're under attack! Secure Superman! Secure-"

Sakura lightly touched Batman's shoulder so he wouldn't move and she peeped around the corner to see what was going on. A loud boom sounded and portals, much like the ones they had entered that world in appeared behind the creatures that were holding Superman captive. The force of the portals opening threw Superman's captors backward either killing them or knocking them unconscious. The Kunoichi was hoping for the former and not the latter. They didn't need any unnecessary surprises while they were trying to escape.

Sakura immediately ran from her hiding spot, knowing that Bruce was right behind her. When Sakura came closer to Superman she felt tears sting her eyes. Glowing red probes were randomly jabbed into his body impaling him. She couldn't imagine the kind of pain he went through during the time they had been apart. It did make her angry, so angry that her body was shaking with it. Without a second thought, she went to work on sending a wave of numbing chakra through his body and thereafter began removing them and healing what she could as she went along.

"Superman, can you hear me?" Sakura glanced up at Bruce to see him trying to rouse Superman. After a few minutes, his eyes opened and he looked around him blearily. She took a brief moment to admire his fortitude. They hadn't been at his side for a full five minutes before he was able to regain consciousness.

When his eyes finally focused they were on her. His gaze seemed to pierce right through her for a second before a dull haze clouded his vision. However, before they did her thoughts seemed to die and nothing was important except that he was right there in front of her. She had no idea what that meant and was slightly afraid of finding out.

"The images they pumped into my brain," His voice was rough as if he had been dehydrated and his voice was scratchy. Sakura shook her head slightly clearing it of the hold he seemed to have on her before she nodded urging him to continue if that was what he wanted. "The death and torture Darkseid's spread across...a multiverse. It felt almost infinite. I saw me there, in a different world, and I saw you too Sakura."

"Me?" His words made her pause and frown. A different world? A multiverse? What did that even mean? Was it always her destiny to end up here? Was this what the gods mapped out for her? Could she just accept that?

"We were happy. We were together but he—" Sakura's eyes grew large. Together? What did he mean by that?

"You need to get your head back on straight." Bruce interrupted.

"It's a farm for recycling flesh."

Sakura turned her head and glanced at the portal, choosing to ignore what she just heard and think of it as nonsensical rambling. Through it, she could see Darkseid fighting with the others. He was pounding Wonder Woman's head into the ground while Flash was attempting to stop him and the portal itself was growing smaller by the second.

"Bruce," Sakura said warningly causing him to turn his head and see what she saw.

"We have to get through one of those wormholes before they close."

"The screaming children," Superman muttered and got to his feet, but only fell to his knees living a pain that Sakura didn't think anyone could heal. She had never felt so powerless before.

Through the portal, Sakura could hear the simple yet bold proclamation from their enemy. "I am Darkseid." It sent fear down Sakura's spine, a fear that they would fail. A fear that they all would die and yet somehow she knew that with Superman on their side this was something that could be avoided. There had to be a reason why Darkseid had taken Superman. Maybe he had some kind of knowledge that they didn't. It was fear that caused her kneel at his side and to take Superman's face in her hands.

"Superman come back to us. We can't do this without you. I need you. Superman please." After a few seconds, he looked at her. He really looked at her and she saw his eyes soften. Sakura's heart sped up at the look.

His hand rose and he lightly touched Sakura's and pulled it down. Sakura automatically pulled her other hand away and watched as Superman rose to his feet. She blinked and then he was gone. Startled, Sakura glanced around her trying to figure out what happened but found herself being hauled to her feet by Batman. His cowl was back in place and Sakura noted how stern it made him appear.

"We have to go."

"But where's Superman? We can't leave him."

"He's there."

Sakura looked in the direction Bruce pointed and saw that Superman had gone through the portal and was now fighting Darkseid one on one. Slightly surprised, Sakura was just glad his got up and go didn't get up and went. Maybe now they had a fighting chance.

Superman flew through the wormhole hitting Darkseid in the abdomen as hard as he could. He wasn't expecting the blow and had no time to brace himself and thus fell back onto the ground. Darkseid was on his feet seconds later and Superman grabbed him and forced him back closer to the wormhole.

"Superman!" He heard Wonder Woman shout, and it startled him slightly, giving Darkseid a slight edge over him. Darkseid grabbed Superman in a bear hug and Superman cried out at the pain.

"Kryptonian," His dark voice rumbled, "You are coming back with me."

Superman bit out, "Like hell I am."

And then he got the backup he needed. Aquaman, Flash, and Wonder Woman all rushed Darkseid.

When Batman and Sakura exited the world Darkseid had come from, they immediately got out of the range of the fight that was going on between Superman and Darkseid. Sakura smiled slightly when she heard Hal yell, "Where the hell did he come from?" He was talking about Superman and Sakura knew that he hadn't noticed her and Batman slip through the portal.

"We need to end this Batman. The longer this goes on, the worse things will be for us."

"You're right. So this is what we're going to do. I'm going to go to Cyborg and get him to close the portals."

"How do you know that he can?"

"If he opened them, he can close them."

"But how do you know he opened them?"

"Look at him Sakura." Sakura turned her head and glanced in Cyborg's direction. "He's struggling right now. He's already trying to close them as we speak."

"If he could, Batman he would."

"No one can accomplish very much if they don't believe that they can."

Sakura frowned, thinking of her younger self and the little that she had been able to accomplish. Not really having anyone who believed in her and worse yet, not believing in herself.

"What will you do?" Sakura asked quietly.

"I'll make him believe." The certainty, the surety in his voice already had her believing him. She had no doubt that the Cyborg would do the same.

"And what do you want me to do?"

"Help the others. Force him back by any means necessary, but make it out of this alive." Sakura nodded. Like the alternative was even an option.

"I'll get the Lantern to help me."