Chapter 10

As it turns out it's incredible easy to avoid someone, even on an island.  I hadn't seen or spoken to Owen since the night of our date or not a date.  I had decided if I didn't see him for the foreseeable future that would suit me just fine.  As much as I hated to admit it his behavior hurt me.  I couldn't figure out why he would kiss me, albeit briefly, then just walk away.  Was I really so bad at kissing he felt the need to avoid me?  Maybe the whole night was just supposed to be a pity party because I looked like I had gone a few rounds with Holyfield, and it got out of hand.  Whatever his reasons it only confirmed that putting yourself out there wasn't worth it.  I had hoped Owen would be different.  The ache in my heart said different.

After I got over being hurt I got pissed.  This asshole wanted to wine, dine and kiss me then act like I had fallen off the face of the planet?  Well, two could play at that game.  I had a PhD in avoidance.  I felt like a moron for actually believing for two seconds he was interested in me.  I should know by now that no one was interested in damaged goods.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if I was avoiding him or the other way around, but it had been almost a month since I'd seen him.  Which is why I found my current predicament so shitty.

Simon had called me in to his office for an update on everything I had been doing the last few weeks. He specifically wanted my take on the raptor program.  Considering I'd only visited the raptor paddock once, for about 10 minutes, I was limited with my insight.  After listening to me repeat the same observations 10 different ways he told me, in no uncertain terms, to get my ass out to the paddock, today.  Which was why I was currently sitting in my Jeep outside the raptor paddock, banging my head against the steering wheel.

"Are you going to get out or just stay here all day?" Barry asked, casually leaning against my window.

"I don't know.  Maybe stay here all day.  I haven't decided."

"Owen isn't here right now."  How he knew my behavior had anything to do with Owen made me queasy.

I hopped out of the Jeep, striding towards the paddock.  "Alright then, let's get this show on the road." Barry laughed as he followed me.

The raptors were out of containment, roaming around the paddock freely. They had gotten so much bigger since the last time I'd seen them.  My feet moved involuntarily to the metal stairs that would take me up to the catwalk crisscrossing above the paddock.  Once there I saw the raptors bounding back and forth across the paddock, nipping, growling, and chirping at each other while they interacted.  They moved with such fierce precision.  These girls were stone cold killers.  They were amazing. 

"Do they always communicate like that?" I asked Barry, leaning over the railing to get a better look at the girls.  He nodded, assuming a similar position to my right.  Man, these raptors were something else.  I could watch them all day.

Watching the girls had my mind involuntarily wandering to Owen.  I finally realized what was bothering me so much about this whole scenario.  That piece of crap had me doubting my game.  It was driving me insane.  I was a sexy, desirable woman who any man would love to date.  Right?

I looked over at Barry who hadn't taken his eyes off the raptors, the perfect solution to this problem suddenly clear.  I turned towards him, squaring my shoulders while leaning against the railing, "Barry, you'd date me right?"

Barry immediately turned to face me, his eyes bulging out of their sockets.  He took a step away from me muttering something under his breath in French.   Well, this wasn't good.

"I...I have a girlfriend Jo," he stuttered, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Oh for fuck's sake Barry, I'm not suggesting we go at it right here on the catwalk.  I'm simply asking, hypothetically speaking, if you'd date me?"