Of Course, Don't Set it Free

I never understood the logic of love. It was too complicated. Too many hearts torn apart, so many tears wasted all for love.

If I couldn't get Nessie to look at me, the way I've looked at her so many times, I wouldn't be able to let go of it so easily.

I had already given up on Bella to Edward, and it wasn't the best experience ever for me.

"You know I've promised to watch over you ... your family." I tried not to make it seem as if I was stalking her, but I was. Lying again to her. Thank goodness I had a stern poker face or else she would be able to see right through it.

She winced. "Jacob, have you've forgotten we're vampires? We're capable of protecting our own kinds."

Her own kind? Of course I knew it well enough.

"If anything was to happen to you under my watch, your parents would kill me." That I was not lying about.

"Your watch? Since when do I need a bodyguard?"

Since I fell in love with you. She was always stubborn.

"If you ever need me, just know that I'm here, alright?" I answered softly.

She laughed a remarkably loud laugh. Was it so funny that I cared so much?

"Jacob, look at how serious your face is! 'If you ever need me, just know that I'm here,'" she mocked me uncontrollably.

She was making fun of me. How was this possibly funny?

I couldn't understand her at times, and it drove me crazy. Did she really think I was lying?

Her infectious laughter seemed to echo through the silent forest. As if every creature wanted to hear our conversation.

She finally composed herself. "Jacob," she cleared her throat, "I'm sorry. It's cute how you said that."

Cute? She thought it was cute? Was that an insult? Of course it was.

I didn't want her to see my disappointed look. "No. I'm sorry. I ..." I was speechless. Usually, I made the jokes, and here I was unresponsive.

She cut me off before I could explain, "It's okay. I think it's chivalrous of you."

Okay, chivalrous is an improvement from cute. I wouldn't want her to think of me as only cute. That's what babies were for. Being cute.

"Jacob, I have to go back. I'm sure my parents are wondering why I've been hunting so late. Plus, you know Alice can't find me the moment I'm with you. It irritates her that she can't see us together." She smiled.

Her smile was unbelievably breathtaking. The most perfect teeth and wicked smile. It hypnotized your very movements and made you lose your thoughts. At least, it affected me. I've seen that smile over thousands of times, but I was never tired of it.

She stared at me hard. "Jacob?"

She left me speechless so many times. I felt a little clumsy around her at times.

"Yes, Nessie. You should go back. I'll walk with you. I'm sure your parents wouldn't mind seeing me."

Bella always welcomed me. Edward wasn't too thrilled all the time because each time I came over it was for one purpose only, to be with Nessie.

I told myself, I had to play fair. I kept reminding myself to give Nessie the chance to see her own future, but why?

It was so hard for me to let Bella go when I knew I would lose her forever to Edward, and here came Nessie. Bella and I knew the pull between us came from Nessie, as if she was meant to be born just for me alone.