Bucky Barnes [8]

"Birthday Boy"

March 10, 2017

Alternate, non-canon ending to Civil War, possible spoilers

*

"Did you get enough candles?" I checked. Steve was sorting the packages of candles by size and color, but not a single one had a duplicate.

"There are 105," he answered proudly, surveying his work. "Enough for the cakes and a few extra."

"Wait, did you say cakes?" I asked. "Steve, how many cakes?"

"There are four," he said, just a bit more quietly. He looked at me out of the corner of his eye as I stated back at him.

"Okay. Four cakes. I'm going to go check on the decorations,"  I told him. He began gathering up his candles as I left the room. Planning a party for Bucky had been a small challenge. Even T'Challa wasn't able to leave the hidden jungle compound very often, making any sort of shopping almost impossible. Of course, it had plenty to keep us busy, just no birthday candles.

Most of the compound was quiet, as usual, but one of the larger common areas was bustling. Redwing the drone was being used to hang streamers while Sam lounged on a chaise. Natasha was compulsively rearranging the simple gifts stacked on a table nearby, only after Clint casually shook each one. Wanda had also been put to use, smirking as she retrieved one of Scott's errant balloons from the vaulted ceiling.

"You're just in time to approve everything," Wanda told me. She passed the star spangled balloon back to Scott, who was far more careful the second time around.

"I thought balloons were a possible trigger. Popping could sound like small caliber gunfire and all that," I said.

"Apparently vibranium can be worked into balloons," she explained. "Nat and Scott spent nearly an hour trying to pop one. If they cannot destroy them, Bucky will not have to worry."

"Oddly enough that is comforting," I admitted. "How do you think this is going to play out?"

"What? Are you worried he won't like a party?" Wanda asked, smiling warmly at me. "I think all of us need a party."

"Maybe with a little less booze," I noticed, watching as Clint and Scott quietly began to discuss the proper amount of alcohol needed to spike a can of soda.

*

"Hey Bucky, you decent?" I asked, knocking incessantly on his door. A drawer shut on the other side and I heard the sound of fabric snapping before the door opened. And there stood Bucky, looking only slightly surprised to see me. 

And then I forgot most of what I had come to say to him. He had a towel around his waist and was holding it up with one hand at his hip. His hair was still wet from a shower, a couple trails of water sliding down his chest, and it was clear he hadn't shaved today. There were, surprisingly, only a few scars on his body. A couple star-shaped bullet wounds and a single long line from a blade. They were rough, shoddy repairs. The kind done in a pinch, when function outweighed future beauty.

"Did you need something?" he asked, beginning to smirk as I dragged my eyes upward.

"Uh, yeah. Steve called us for a, uh, a briefing," I managed to tell him.

"Where? One of the intel rooms?"

"No, they're all too small," I explained.

"Huh. Is everyone coming in for this one?" he checked.

"Yeah," I answered. That wasn't a lie at least. Second to Natasha, I was the best liar on the team. "I'll walk with you once you get dressed."

He looked down his towel then back up to me, now with a more playful and less provocative grin on his face.

"I guess this could be a bit distracting," he decided. "I'll be right out."

He winked at me and then closed the door, leaving me blushing in the hall. Less than a minute later, Bucky was back and dressed in a plain t-shirt and jeans, his still wet hair in a bun.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Lead the way," he agreed. I nodded and began walking towards his party. "Did Steve say what this was about?"

"Not a word. Sorry," I said shortly. When it came to lying, offering minimal details was the way to go.

"That's alright," he promised. He smiled at me warmly, and I managed a nervous smile back at him. I awkwardly stuck my hands in my pockets for the rest of the walk. I could chatter the closer we got to the 'briefing', and Bucky became noticeably more tense. I knew  even small, friendly crowds still bothered him, even more so when those crowds included a fellow super soldier, a former assassin, and a literal witch. Add in several others with decades of training between them, and anyone would be nervous. "What the-"

"Happy birthday!" everyone shouted together. Bucky stopped on a dime as he took in the sight, and I worried he would bolt. Or worse, stay and fight. But once he saw familiar faces and their smiles, he relaxed. At least a little.

"Happy birthday," I repeated, quieter and still by his side. He smiled at me and then looked down at his arm; my hand was against the metal of his forearm as if I had been trying to keep him in place. I pulled it away. "Hopefully we didn't scare you."

"I haven't had a birthday party since the forties," he told me. He took a hesitant step forward and was quickly swallowed by his friends. I joined the group soon enough, taking it all in.

True to his word, Cap provided four different cakes, each a different flavor and covered in twenty-five candles a piece. Clint and Natasha turned out to be excellent bartenders. Sam and Bucky bonded over embarrassing Steve, who took it all in stride. Scott even made an attempt at balloon animals, but succeeded only at making a crooked sword. Wanda joined me in my observant corner, both of us enjoying a lighter mood.

"I would say this was a success," she congratulated me. "I wonder who has the next birthday."

"That would be you," I answered matter-of-factly. She looked at me, a question in her eyes. "I like birthdays. How many cakes do you want?"

*

Author's Note:

Sorry about no update yesterday, but on the plus side I got to see Civil War again. I learned that Bucky and Hawkeye are both Southpaws like myself. They both shoot left-handed. Kings has been a bit harder to watch because its webhost is a little fickle and likes to skip the back half of every episode. I'm still trying, though.

Also, we're over 400 reads and 30 votes! Anyone who's also a fan of Loki/Tom Hiddleston should go check out one of my other stories, Sigyn. Yes, that was a little shameless self-promotion. Sorry. I have a couple other stories that are non-related to Marvel. Okay, I'm done promoting myself. Had to do it.

Thank you all, once again! I love seeing new votes and comments for you all, and I look forward to more!