Chapter Three

For the remainder of the day, I stay as far away from Riley as possible. I dodge her in the hallways and keep my eyes off of her in class. Of course, this makes me think about the situation and I start to feel somewhat bad. I don't know why I snapped at Riley the way I did, but I know that I don't want to lose Cora. I've known her for practically my entire life. And I know that she sticks to her word. There's no doubt in my mind that she would go out of her way to avoid me just for talking to Riley. And if my own mom found out that I was friends with a gay person of any sort... Well, lets just say it wouldn't go so great. And that's the understatement of the year.

Cora and I go to the same church together. Our moms are friends and I know that Cora tells her mom everything. So anything Cora tells her mom gets back to my mom. I've always been careful about this, but sometimes I come close to slipping up. Anyways, I guess you could say my entire family is kind of big on Jesus. My dad is a pastor and Cora's dad is the head of the Vacation Bible School program. They're both great guys, but my dad is one of the best human beings I know. He's accepting, he's understanding, and he's really laid back. I know that he doesn't care who I hang out with, or who I like. But I still worry. I mean, that's reasonable, right?

After pretending Riley doesn't exist and finishing my classes, I meet up with Cora. We walk through the parking lot together and she rambles about ways she can improve the cheers for the school cheerleading squad. I play a game on my phone as we walk, not paying too much attention. When we reach my car, I unlock it and plop down in the driver's seat. After I start the car, I plug my iPhone into the stereo and place it on the center console. I start bumping the new Drake album and Cora groans.

"What? You don't like rap?" I tease.

"You know I don't, Sutton." She rolls her eyes and casts her gaze out the window.

I exit the parking lot and rush through the after school traffic. Our school is a little bit away from town, so it's about a fifteen minute drive both ways. I've always carpooled with Cora. Even after I got my license, she kept coming with me. Cora doesn't have a car, which is shocking. But it's only because her parents think they should wait until she's a senior. Even more surprisingly, Cora doesn't really care. That's because she can drive her dad's car whenever she pleases.

"I hate Montana." Cora hisses.

"Why?" I prod, turning onto a different street.

"It's so small here. And it smells like animals... And there's a ton of ugly guys-"

I can't help but laugh, causing Cora to turn at me and scowl.

"What?" She demands.

"You and your boys." I chuckle.

"Oh, come on. You can't just not love boys." Cora says, as though it's a part of the Ten Commandments.

"Eh," I breathe as I shrug and take a left at an intersection.

"What do you mean 'eh'?" She asks quizzically, "I mean, I know you've never had a boyfriend, but-"

"That doesn't have anything to do with it." I say.

At least, I don't think it has anything to do with it. It's not like I care that I don't have one. I've just never even wanted one. And to be honest, I'm really invested in my school work. I've never thought about it too much. I guess I've just never found a guy that I actually like. That's not too fair to say, though. Because I've never spent any time with a guy or been on a date with one or... even flirted with one, to be completely honest. I just don't see it as necessary at this time in my life.

"Just don't go all homo on me," Cora laughs harshly as she examines herself in the sun visor mirror.

"Yeah," I grumble, "I'll try not to."

"I've never really asked... But... I guess now I'm curious. What's your opinion on the whole... Gay... Thing?" Cora's tone becomes more serious and I try to keep my focus on the road.

"If they don't bother me, why should I bother them?" I say nonchalantly as I turn onto the long road leading to our neighborhood.

"I'm pretty sure seeing two girls sucking face in public bothers me." She snarls.

"If you don't want to hear my opinion then don't ask for it," I suggest in a stoic voice.

"Excuse me?" She gawks at me in utter disbelief.

"I'm just saying," I tilt my head as our neighborhood comes into view.

It's a nice little place with beautiful landscapes, picket fences, and large houses. Every home is accompanied by a vast, green front and back yard. It's basically suburbia to a T. Although it isn't a very heavily populated neighborhood. There's probably about 25 homes around here. I love it nonetheless, though.

"It's because of Riley, isn't it?" Cora accuses.

I step on the brakes and the car jerks to a halt in the middle of the road. I turn to look at my best friend, who now wears a look of uncertainty.

"What is going on with you? Why are you obsessing over Riley? What did she do to you?"

"I'm not obsessed with her. You are." She retaliates, furrowing her brows.

"Oh my god, Cora. She's a lesbian. So what? You're literally the only person who seems to be so greatly affected by that. You've never even spoken to her! She hasn't even done anything to you, so stop talking about her." I say, becoming rather angry.

"She's totally going to turn you," Cora scoffs as she opens the door and gets out of the car, "I'm gonna walk home. I think I need some space from you. Don't talk to me until you've come to your senses. Have a nice day! Bye!"

With that, she slams the door and storms off with her backpack slung over her shoulder. I watch as she continues walking without looking back. What just happened?