Chapter Seventeen

I enter the school hallway with my head held high and my English book to my chest. It's the last week of school and I feel like a changed person. Everything about being with Riley has changed me. I've learned so much about her and about myself. I feel more confident, I'm a lot happier, and I'm proud of myself. I'm not so worried about Cora anymore. That is, until I catch her lurking around my locker. I put on a brave face and walk right up, putting in my combination. Cora glares at me as I put my book into my locker. As I close the door, she speaks up.

"Where's your girlfriend?" She hisses.

"She's with her mom, thanks for asking. I know how concerned you must be." I retaliate, beginning to walk toward my first period class.

"I'm not concerned. I just overheard that Riley had to move in with her mom because her dad was beating her for being with you." Cora informs me, her tone as harsh as possible.

I stop and turn to face her. I fold my arms and stare at her in disbelief.

"Do you really have nothing better to do?"

"Oh, shove it. You're just mad because you aren't friends with me anymore." She laughs.

"Actually, I couldn't care less, Cora. Where are your friends, anyway?" I ask, shifting my weight onto my left leg.

"They're avoiding you, I'm sure. You're not worth anyone's time anyway." She shoots back defensively.

"Uh-huh, yeah. Well, I'll see you around." I roll my eyes and walk away as the bell rings.

That was a close one. Although I must say, I handled it like a champ. With a skip in my step, I make it to my first class and try to start the day off positively. It goes by pretty fast and I don't see any more of Cora. When school is over, I meet up with Riley for a little last-minute tutoring. Today, we're hanging out at the library and trying to get in some last minute studying before her math final. I've looked forward to seeing her again all day, so it's no wonder I practically dive into her arms when I see her coming my way. She hugs me tight and kisses me on the tip of my nose. I smile and take her hand, walking by her side as we enter the library. We settle down at a table in the back corner of the library and begin studying. I'm patient as we work through numerous problems and an entire study guide. When we're done, Riley leans back in her seat and groans. Somewhere in an aisle, somebody whisper-yells "shh" at her. The two of us try to stifle a laugh and Riley cracks her back.

"How was school today?" She asks me, grabbing my hand and placing a gentle kiss on my knuckles.

"It was good. I think I may have gotten Cora to finally leave us alone." I smile.

"That's a relief. It was only a matter of time before I popped her right in the forehead." Riley tells me, making a punching gesture.

I giggle and shake my head, "You're ridiculous."

"You love me." She reminds me, leaning in for a kiss.

"Guilty." I say, giving her a quick peck on the lips.

"I'm mildly terrified about graduation." She says, stuffing her notebook in her backpack.

"How come?" I ask.

"It's nearly here. I mean, we have these finals and then... We're done. We enter the adult world."

"That doesn't mean you have to stop being a kid," I remind her, recieving a goofy grin in response as we get up and leave the library.

"I'm serious. It's crazy. It seems like just a few days ago, you were begging me to go on a date with you." Riley sighs.

"Shut up," I laugh, giving her a nudge in the side.

"Can I ask you something?" She says in a more serious tone.

I stop and she stops beside me. We stand on the edge of the sidewalk, facing the empty parking lot. It's getting dark outside and the school's lightposts are starting to turn on. I turn to her and she grins cheekily.

"Anything. What's up?"

"Do you wanna get married?" Riley asks.

"Right now?" I gawk, raising my eyebrows.

"No, silly. Not right now. I mean, you know, eventually." She tells me, reaching for my hand.

I lace my fingers between hers and she pulls me closer to her. I wrap my arms around her neck and nuzzle my face against her chest. She kisses the top of my head and I smile.

"I'd love to marry you." I say.

"I was hoping you'd say that." Riley murmurs, leaning down to kiss me, "I love you."

"I love you too."