Chapter Eighteen

A roar of applause and a chorus of happy sobs fills my ears, practically deafening me. I walk across the wooden floor to stand in the middle again. The oak pallets creak beneath my shoes as I go. I look around the room, seeing family members, friends, and a multitude of other guests. All of them are dressed formally, enjoying the refreshments before them. I take a sip of champagne before I speak into the microphone again.

"A few years after that night, I proposed to her. We were swimming when I pretended to slip and fall. When Sutton came to help me up, I pulled out a ring and popped the question," I laugh, turning to look at my bride.

She smiles at me, looking as beautiful as ever, "They uh... They say that everybody has a first love. They say that your first love is either the one you end up with for the rest of your life, or they slip away from you. And because that statement is true and utterly terrifying, I just have to acknowledge how thankful I am that I'm standing here with everyone today... Standing here with my first, and my only true love. My family, my friends, and everyone I care about. Thank you just so much for being here. I couldn't have picked a better bunch of folks."

All of the guests start clapping and cheering. I even get a few whistles from the crowd.

"Anyway, I'll let you all get back to your festivities now. Enjoy the reception!" I say, handing the microphone off to the DJ.

People begin piling back onto the dance floor as he starts up a slow song. I'm patted on the back and pulled into bear hugs by family members and friends as I try making my way toward Sutton. They compliment me on my story and tell me how sweet it was. I thank them as I go, fighting through the mess of dancing people. I give a final push through the crowd and find myself face to face with Sutton. Her green eyes are as vibrant as ever. Her freckled face is adorned with some light blush and perfect eye makeup. The white, silky gown that hugs her body sweeps across the floor and compliments her figure miraculously. My breath catches in my throat for the hundredth time today. I extend my hand to her and lead her to the middle of the dance floor.

Everyone parts ways as we reach the center of the floor. I pull Sutton close and we begin to dance slowly. She moves in closer to me and rests her head on my shoulder, giving me a glimpse of her father, who has tears in his eyes. He smiles sappily as he wipes at his face. After Sutton came out to him, he told her that there was no one this Earth that he would rather give his daughter to than me. I know it still pained him to give her away, but I'm sure he feels better because of how well he knows me. Sutton's mother wasn't too thrilled that I was the lucky girl, but she came to love me with time. To this day, though, Parker still scares the shit out of me. I shudder when I see her in the crowd, holding onto her husband's arm and smirking at me. I hold Sutton a little tighter and lean in toward her ear.

"I told you we'd get married one day." I say with a grin.

"I didn't doubt it for a second." She responds quietly, leaning back to look at me.

She adjusts my bow tie and fixes my collar. I look down at her while she focuses. She finishes primping me and cups my cheek. I smile at her and she plants a gentle kiss on my lips. I feel my stomach doing flips as I kiss her back.

"I love you." I tell her, gazing into her eyes.

"I love you, too." Sutton says, resting her forehead against mine.

Despite everyone's doubts and negativity, we still ended up together. I never thought too much about fate, but I know that this is it. I will never be an absent memory. Nor a school girl crush or even a 'phase'. Now, I am always hers. And she is always mine.