Chapter 10: People Could Not Be Quiet

"Linnea?"

"What?" I snap.

"I was just wondering how you were doing since we haven't talked in a while?" he says, but it comes out like a question in the end.

Great. Everyone knows about Thibault. This is wonderful news. I'm a charity case. All. Over. Again.

I got my teeth and say, "I'm fine, Lorenzo, thanks."

We were at my house. The real one that I grew up in. After Thibault was arrested and I pressed charges, I moved out and into my old house. It was kind of lonely because my house was big and I was all alone. But I was used to that. People still stared, though. Every time I went into town, I could feel their eyes drilling holes all over me. The town was tiny; everyone knew everyone and they all knew the abuse I had to take. I had to miss four weeks of school due to my bruised ribs, so I had Lorenzo come over so we could work on the art project together. This was week two of recovery and I had other people bring over my homework to keep interaction with Lorenzo to a minimum. I had been silent since he came and apparently he was annoyed I wasn't fawning over him. Jerk.

"Linnea?" he says again, like an annoying brother who wouldn't leave me alone.

"What?" I practically snarl.

My patience is paper-thin and I do not feel like talking. People could not be quiet for a couple seconds!

"I wanted to know if you wanted to get a drink sometime?" he proposes, somewhat timidly.

I look up at him in shock. His eyes plead silently.

"I know you don't really like me, but you don't really know me. I was hoping I could change that. I really like you. You don't fall all over me and it's refreshing. All my life I've had everything handed to me on a silver platter and working for something is nice. I'll work to make you see I'm not a bad person. Just one day. One try to change your opinion of me. If it doesn't work, I'll leave you alone after this project ends."

"No. You're arrogant and that'll never change, no matter how hard you try," I say.

I feel something in between my finger and realize that the clay I had been trying to mold was squished between my fingers. Great. Now I have to start over. Lorenzo opens his mouth to speak but decides against it. Good choice. If he had spoken, I would've ripped off his head.

...

After three agonizing hours of working together, he finally leaves. Thank goodness. I settle in my bed with my laptop to do homework but end up surfing the web for Lorenzo. He is loaded with money-actually his parents is. More accurately, his father. And apparently he is known for partying too hard. He was arrested for drunk-driving and assaulting a cop. Typical. I don't feel any remorse when I look him up because he is a jerk and the article on my screen proves that I'm right.

Once I finish my homework, I don't feel tired although the clock reads 2:15. Getting out of bed, I walk downstairs to the living room where I bump into the side table on my way to turn on the lights. Clutching my shin, I hobble over to the kitchen. I make some popcorn and settle into the couch for a movie. I could never pull an all-nighter before the accident, but nightmares always keep me up after the crash. I decide that staying up is better than having the nightmares, so I survive off of a couple hours of sleep a night. Deciding to catch up on The Flash, I cuddle with my blanket and resign myself to another sleepless night.

___
A/N
Pictured: Linnea

I finally found someone who looks like her! If she doesn't look like how you picture Linnea or Grant Gustin isn't how you see Lorenzo, then go on picturing how they look like in your head. These are just ideas.

Remember: constructive criticism is always appreciated!