CHAPTER NINE: WHAT'S ON THE MENU?

It had been Selena’s idea to expand the business to different states of America as their clients in Orlando was limited and she had proposed Ashton ideas to market his company. Now some Mr. Michael Somerville wanted to meet her for a prospective proposal as soon as possible.

Two months had gone by without any mishaps since the famous baby episode. The initial intimacy between the two of them had been precarious. They were still acting like lovey dopey couples in front of others even in the office but when they were alone, it evaporated as quickly as smoke and she was still being ignored by Ashton. Actually, he treated her better without any snide remarks and insults just like she had asked but there was no special bonding like there had been during the birthday party and she missed that.

It was not a very nice feeling but her every pore was aware of Ashton Cooper and she had a feeling that everything had changed between them. Sometimes, she would catch him staring at her as if on the verge of making a decision but when she returned his look, he would look away quickly averting her gaze.

Sighing, she called Emma for confirmation of her flight the following day; she was going to meet Mr. Somerville in the Hotel Union Circle as planned. Ashton had appeared thrilled at the new prospect and had given her the green signal for the meeting. Therefore, she had asked Damien to accompany her as she would need someone to back her presentation with some technical evidence.

Finally satisfied that everything was in order, she picked up her things and went to meet Ashton in his office to brief him on any pending issues. When she heard voices inside the office, she faltered and seeing Emma signaling her frantically, she walked up to her desk.

“What’s going on?” she asked the secretary in a whisper.

“Oh, don’t go in there Miss Selena. The boss ex-girlfriend is here and she’s making a scene and Mr. Ashton had to bring her in his office to calm her down.”

Ex-girlfriend?? As in ex-mistress?? Or maybe he had not respected their deal after all and the girlfriend wanted to have her say. Excruciating jealousy gripped her and before any rational thought could stop her, she barged into the office just in time to see the woman in tears clinging to Ashton’s feet.

Okay. It was not as bad as it looked. The woman was nearly desperate and crying her heart out while Ashton was awkwardly trying to pick her up. When she entered, he threw an angry look in the direction of the door but seemed relieved on seeing her.

“Help me,” he mouthed.

Selena couldn’t help it; she grinned mischievously at him and pretended to stretch her ears in guise of not hearing what he had asked her. But her expression was in complete contrast to her dramatic gesture as she was grinning delightfully. The blonde ex had her back to her thankfully and could not see her action.

“Pleeease,” he mouthed again desperate and the blonde looked in her direction as she sensed Ashton’s attention otherwise engaged.

Ashton Cooper had said please!! And sorry within two months of their pretend game. Things had certainly changed between them. Of course, she would help him; she felt great that he needed her help in such an awkward situation. It was fun to see the great Cooper squirm.

“Who is that honey?” she wailed in a plaintive voice and picked up a knife pen from a desk nearby and flung herself in the direction of the blonde. “I am the girlfriend here!” she shouted hysterically flashing the pointed edge in her direction and watched as the blonde stared at her uncomprehendingly.

Then as if by magic, the tears dissolved and she flashed Selena with a look of pure venom in her direction. It was a cat fight alright and Selena wanted to have her part of fun with that woman. She was the usual stereotyped version; her hair was curly instead of slick straight and she had plain brown eyes instead of the usual blue. But she was still a knock-out which made Selena insanely jealous at the thought that she had dated Ashton even if he could hardly stand her now.