Four*

Alec is walking in and out of the closet with three different shirts clutched in his hand. He doesn't know what to wear. He doesn't usually go to holiday parties, or parties in general. Mary's come upstairs to get a book because Ember wants her to read her something from her book of fairy tales. There's always a part of the day reserved for fairy tales and cookies, it's Ember's favorite thing about being home.

Mary's quite perplexed when she sees what Alec is doing. He never puts that much effort into what he's wearing unless he's going to a party. Something that he hasn't done since the first year of their marriage. It takes her a moment to realize that it's New Year's Eve, of course there's a party—hundreds of them, even.

A soft smile claims her lips as she sees the sweaters lined up on the bed. "The gray one really brings out your eyes and it's a nice contrast to your smile."

Alec freezes and looks up at Mary with confusion in his eyes. He doesn't remember ever wearing the gray sweater around her.

"I bought it for you for your birthday a little after Ember was born. You used to wear it all the time."

The happiness has drained from her eyes considerably. He doesn't remember at all. "Where are you going? I thought you were staying in tonight."

She's asked softly in hopes that he catches on that she's disappointed. A few nights ago, he told her that he was staying in with her and Ember for the night. Just the three of them and no mistress at all. Mary was hoping he meant it this time and that they could be a family again for just one night. Apparently, that was too much to hope for.

Alec doesn't seem to catch on. His blue eyes meet her gray ones without any hint of interest or emotion, "Work party."

Mary's surge of hope resurfaces and there's a spark of happiness igniting in her eyes as he walks the other two sweaters back into the closet. "Could I come? It's been a while since we've done anything and I miss you, Alec."

Alec pauses as he's hanging up the second sweater, thinking of a reason to give her that will make her change her mind. "You don't really want to. It's going to be incredibly boring and you won't like it at all."

It's a weak excuse and that's all it takes for the glimmer of hope and happiness to vanish like it was part of a mirage. It's probably not a work party at all and that he's telling her not to come because, wherever he's going, he's going there with Caroline.

She should have known that he wouldn't keep his word and stay in with her and Ember tonight. Caroline will always come first to him for reasons that she wishes she didn't know. Mary feels stupid for thinking that he would stay this time and for thinking that maybe, just maybe, he'd like to take her with him to a New Year's Eve party.

Mary frowns and runs her fingertips over the gray sweater that's found its way into her hands. Her voice is softer than she thinks it's ever been before as Alec takes the sweater from her hands. "Will you at least apologize to Ember before you leave? She was so excited to finally get to spend some time with you."

For a moment, she thinks she can see a tiny speck of remorse behind his eyes, but it's gone as soon as she blinks. Her heart sinks as she thinks of Ember downstairs, just waiting for her father to come down and, at the very least, sit on the couch and talk to her.

Alec sighs as he pulls the sweater over his head and ruffles his hair, "Alright."

Mary's at the door with one foot in the hallway before she turns around to make sure that he understands what she meant when she said apologize. "Just-don't make promises that you can't keep. She's five years old Alec, you can't keep doing this to her."