Twenty-Three

It's three a.m. when the phone rings. Mary groans and Harry's arms search for her to bring her closer because she's shifted in her sleep and she's not as close to him as he'd like.

She's too tired to fight him and smiles softly as he brings her close to him and rests his head in the crook of her neck. "It'll still be there tomorrow."

Mary hums in return and closes her eyes. She's not awake enough to realize that whoever is calling wouldn't be calling at such an odd hour if there wasn't some sort of emergency. Harry's warm and she's far too comfortable to even want to move to see who's calling.

The room is silent, save for the soft sound of their breathing, and Mary's slipping back into a dream when her phone starts to ring again. A soft groan passes her lips, Harry's arms tighten around her and he mumbles against her skin, "Tomorrow, 's too early."

He's right, it is too early. That's exactly why she decides to answer the phone. No one would be calling her again this late at night if it wasn't important.

Mary turns on her side in his arms and reaches for her phone on the nightstand. She didn't turn the brightness down before they went to bed and the light emanating from the screen nearly blinds her.

She doesn't bother reading the caller ID as she quickly swipes her fingers over the accept call button.

"Hello?"

Harry sits up and rests his weight on his elbow, listening to the conversation as much as he can while still being asleep because he doesn't want Mary to have to stay up longer to tell him.

Almost as soon as she answers, he knows that it isn't good because her free hand lifts to cover her mouth and it looks like she's stopped breathing entirely. Harry places his hand on her shoulder to comfort her on a small level and her hand drops to reach for his instead.

"They don't know how long she has...She...she had a h-heart attack and it's only gotten worse."

Mary's hands start to shake and Harry holds her hand a little tighter. Someone's dying and he's got no idea who, but he's knows that whoever it is they're incredibly important to her.

Her voice is soft and a little shaky as she replies. "No...we were supposed to go and see her tomorrow...she can't go."

Tears are welling in her eyes and her lips are trembling almost as much as her hands. Harry knows who's dying now and he feels terrible, although, he can't compare how he feels to how Mary feels because she's known this woman for her entire life.

"I know. She wanted me to call you to make sure that you came to—that you came to say goodbye. Please come, Mary. It's hard enough without you here now and you know that I hate to admit it, but I need my big sister."

Mary tries to wipe her eyes but stops halfway because it's not going to make any difference. "What—what hospital are you at?"

"Memorial."

"I'll be there soon."

She ends the call and immediately drops the phone onto the mattress. Harry's anticipated her movements before she dropped the phone and he meets her embrace quicker than she expected him too.

Mary clings to him like he's an anchor. She doesn't know what else to do because everything hurts. It's been a long time since she's cried like this and her entire body is shaking. Harry's not saying anything because he knows that it won't matter, someone that she loves is dying and there's nothing that either of them can do about it.

The best he can do is hold her close and let his actions speak for him so he doesn't end up saying something that might upset her further. Her tears coat the thin material of his shirt in only moments and gentle sobs escape her lips. She's trying not to let her grief consume her and that's okay because he knows that she's trying to keep some composure for her daughter's sake. He'll be there for her when she breaks entirely and that's what matters.