Chapter Two - Buzzed Endings

Please read this chapter with lights and in a safe position! :D

CHAPTER TWO:

BUZZED ENDINGS

Buzz Cut – a haircut in which all the hair is cut very close to the scalp, usually designed with electric clippers. The buzz cut is popular with those who want a short, low-maintenance hairstyle, and is the haircut often required for boys at some schools.

"Why did you stop me?" Lily inquired in monotone as she sat on a corner of one of the metal benches planted on the bay walk. Sitting properly, her body was erect and stiff, almost too properly, just like the acacia tree nearby whose leaves hang precariously above her.

The boy, who sat on the same bench as her, staying on the other edge of the chair, only remained his lips sealed in speechlessness. She stole a glance at him, and discovered that his eyes were only fixated at the view of the sunset in front of them. Receiving his lack of response—or his silent response, for that matter—she could not help but get annoyed.

"You shouldn't have interfered," she continued with the same dead tune, turning her face away from him and the view of the ocean ahead her. The ocean was now calm and the breeze finally gentle and soothing, swaying some strands of Lily's hair which would have almost been buzzed to death. But Lily, deep inside, was otherwise.

"Why do you're words sound more like . . . 'thank you so much for stopping me'?"

Her eyes broadened, and she almost brought her head back to him.

"Th-That's how it sounds to me . . ." he resumed.

She bit her lower lip, and then heaved a sigh, before speaking up again. "N-No, I'm not!" she protested, her face still away from Ken, "P-Please don't meddle with my own business!"

"Then why don't you go back to the salon and have your hair all buzzed for real this time?"

She was again taken aback. This stranger beside her was spitting statements which tasted bitter for her, especially since he was acting as if he knew her for a long time. Yet, a part of her was also struck with his words, and they made her consider at that moment why did she not go back to the salon in the first place. Do I really feel good that my hair buzzing didn't happen? Thinking about it just made her cluttered head even messier.

But then she realized that the stranger beside her was being meddlesome, and irritation and fear began sprouting inside her because of his behavior. She wanted to tell him to shut up and leave, but of course she still wished to keep her manners, especially now that this person had actually spotted her among all the numerous individuals in this vast city. Running away could be another option, but it would be ruder, plus if this guy really wanted to do something to her, he could surely catch her when she would run. A lame duck like her would surely get caught already even if she just stood up from the bench.

"You can't even move and inch from your seat," he whispered, which she guessed he did not intend for her to hear—but she did.

Annoyed by the stranger's incessant meddling, especially with his last words, she twisted her head to his direction to reply. However, as she turned, the view of his head in level with her stomach welcomed her, causing her eyes to widen once more. He was now also closer to her, his upper body bent towards her direction.