Chapter 10

Chapter 10.

The next morning I awake after everyone else. Devin, Brian, Figgie and Luke are spread across the room. Figgie and Luke are sitting on top of his bunk, they are leaning into each other and talking quietly. Their hands are intertwined, and Luke’s thumb is rubbing Fig’s crux between her thumb and pointer finger.

It looks like Devin and Brian are talking, seriously. Devin is using her hands animatedly, gesturing to me in my bed. Brian looks a bit frustrated, he’s biting his thumb. I keep my eye’s closed to try to hear what they’re saying. When I can’t make anything out I open my eyes and sit up like I don’t notice.

“Oh, hey,” says Devin, “Did you dream anything?” Brian slaps her arm, looking at her incredulously. “What?” She ask him, looking the same way, “We need something to go on, and since your not willing to pop into any minds we need her.” She point to me like I’m not even there or listening.

“No, I didn’t for your information” I say, holding back a snarky retort. “I don’t dream that often lately.” I throw back the thin covers of the bed and stretch my arms and neck. Then I lean back and crack my back, which feels stiff from sleeping on the not to good mattress of the hostel. I quickly run my hands over my head of short brown hair, fuzzing it up by touch. “Where is everyone else?” I ask.

Devin looks disappointed, but says that they went out for a bit. “They might be getting breakfast. I wasn’t awake, only Luke and Figgie were.” She looks over at them and says under her breath “ The darn love birds. Did you know something was happening between them back at the facility? I had no idea!” She raises her voice, “Hey! You two! Where exactly did the others go?”

Luke looks up, “Not sure,” he says, “They just said they were going to go find some food, or a way of getting money for food. Gil was bugging Vaughn about it. Personally I think Gil should be in charge. He seems a bit more competent about it.”

Figgie watches Luke’s face while he talks, a sort of intense look that gives the impression that she is hanging onto every word, that she actually cares about everything he says. Luke’s short blonde hair and bright blue eyes are a bit piercing, his cheek bones are sharp and it gives off the thought that everything he says is important. He could be talking about how to make pudding and you would want to listen. Not to mention his voice is naturally very low.

Brian frowns when Luke says his opinion. “Well, Vaughn is the oldest. It only seems right.”

“But is seniority the only thing that matters? I mean, not to bash, but I don’t think Vaughn thinks ahead very often. He and York were a bit hot headed.”

“They were just forward. And a bit gruff. Besides, York isn’t here to influence him anymore, so I don’t see how that would make much of a difference.” he stops talking. You can see he’s thinking of the rest of the people who have been left behind.

“Alright. We need to do something. Something about what we have done. Whether we hold a press conference, or if we go back ourselves, we need to find out what is happening in that facility. I want to know what’s happened to Pan and Willa and the others after what happened. Drug darts and rubber bullets, although not entirely dangerous are certainly only used when needed. They wanted to stop us from leaving. And badly.” says Devin, standing up from her bed and leaning on the ladder.

“I agree,” chirps and chimes in Figgie from the bunk she and Luke are sitting upon. At that moment the door opens and all of us glance quickly at us in a twitchy way, our eyes bugged a little out of fear. Vaughn, Ash, Gil and the other two girls, Ella and June, walk in from the hall, crossing the threshold with an mien of triumph.

“Why are you all looking so down in the dumps and serious?” asks June, raising up a plastic grocery bag.

“We got food!” announces Ella, showing her bag in the air as well. “Gil was just brilliant! He made the cashier see money and he totally fell for it!”