Chapter 12.

Just then all the others come back, this time is with packages bags from McDonalds. “Who wants Mickey D’s?“ says Gil, laughing. He sends small bags our way, and we each catch one, he sends one to Ash to, with his smile never disappearing. “Don’t look so glum Ash, you could never had convinced us to do what you wanted us to do. Never in a million years. So, Ricki, did you dream anything?” He gives me a look that says ’sorry, but I really need to ask’.

I look quickly at Brian and Devin, who are standing next to each other, slightly shaking their heads and giving me mad eyes. Devin’s jaw is locked tight. Ash looks warily at me, probably wondering what I’ll say after what we talked about. “Nothing,” I say, looking back at him. I try to look upset or concerned, but I’m afraid that I just look like a liar.

He shrugs and looks away and no one questions me further. For a week we mill around, not doing much of anything. We steal to eat, trick the community washing machine into letting us wash clothes for free, and sleep, walk outside, or play cards most of the days.

Ash stays relatively grumpy the whole time, not helped by Gil’s fun poking. One day he has enough. “What don’t you just shut the fuck up, Gil?” Ash yells at him, standing up off of his bed. “Just stop it.”

“Whoa!” he laughs, slapping his knee cap. “Someone can not take a joke. God, Ash, do not be so offended.” I can see he’s just mocking him even more.

“No, shut up!” Ash yells. “Just shut the fuck up. You are such an ass! I just want to leave this god dammed place!

“What are you going to do? Fight me? Bring it on, have a go at me.” yells Gil, now becoming angry. I could see it building for the past week but I had been hoping it would not happen anytime soon.

“Maybe I will!” yells Ash, he stands and runs at Gil, but as soon as Ash is about to touch Gil with a tackle, Gil disappears.

Ash, his feet already have been lifted of the ground tumbles forward and down to the ground, landing on his stomach near my feet, which I pull up in surprise. We all look shocked until Gil takes down his constructed illusion, showing himself to be seated calmly on his bed. He hadn’t even moved a half an inch. “Seriously?” yells Ash from the ground.

“Did you really think I was going to fight you?” Asks Gil, he’s not laughing, but instead looks fairly serious. “Besides, even if we did fight I would win anyhow. Hate to break it to you, but you are not the most powerful person here.” Ash grunts and stand up.

“I’m leaving” he says, brushing himself off and fixing his dark shirt and red scarf.

“Awww, don’t get butt-hurt, now. We all know you are not really going to leave us.”

“No, I’m tired of all your mocking, all the idiotic words coming out of your mouth.” replied Ash heatedly. He walks to the door.

“Come on, come back!” says Gil.

“I won’t. I’m leaving.” he pauses for a moment, think , and then continues, “And you know what? I’m going public. I’m going to tell people what I can do. Maybe save a few lives. What will all of you be doing today? Lying about, playing cards, maybe catching up on a few snores? Have fun.”

He twists the golden door knob and leaves the room, slamming it behind him ad storming down the hall for what seems like the millionth time this week. The noise of the door slamming is starting to sound familiar. I have a guilty feeling in the pit of my stomach because I didn’t even say anything to stop him, but it’s mixed in with some relive and joy. Perhaps all the fighting will be over now?

“What the hell did you do that for?” yells Vaughn. “I mean, god damned, I thought he was crazy with all those ideas, but you did not need to push him to far.”