06: Deal With The Devil

The dim light of dawn was creeping into BoulderClan camp, and Foxclaw had never been more grateful to see it. She glanced over at Stonecloud, who was struggling to stay awake. He always hated not getting enough sleep, she thought.

Just as Foxclaw turned her attention to the warriors den, she spotted the speckled grey pelt of Berrytail; her old mentor, exiting the den.

Berrytail approached the new warriors,  her golden eyes glowing with pride as they met Foxclaw's. "You two are free to get some rest now." She meowed. "You've done well."

Foxclaw dipped her head in respect, muttering her thanks before padding to the warriors den with Stonecloud. The tom was stumbling over his own paws, struggling to walk, so Foxclaw pushed her side against his to assist him.

"Thanks." Stonecloud muttered sleepily, leaning into his friend.

Together, they walked into the warriors den, falling asleep almost as soon as they curled up in their nests.

*°*°*°*

Foxclaw blinked open her eyes to see the same dark scenery as the night before. It was the same forest, the same dense trees and the same moonless, starless sky.

She looked around expectantly, searching for who she knew would be there. "Blizzardpelt?" She called out.

The white tom walked out from the cover of a bush, a playful look in his eye. "Welcome back, Foxclaw." He greeted.

Foxclaw got straight to the point, giving Blizzardpelt a long, hard look. "You're my father, aren't you?"

The tom chuckled, "You're a smart cat, Foxclaw. I'm sure you get that from me. Yes, you're correct. I'm your father."

Foxclaw refrained from scoffing at his narcissistic comment, and instead continued on. "Why did you kill cats? Why did you try to kill Oakstar?" She pressed further. The fact that he was her father didn't surprise her by now, as she had already been pretty sure about it.

"Isn't it obvious?" Blizzardpelt said, swishing his tail. "To become leader. I eliminated those in my way to become deputy, but unfortunately I failed in getting rid of that old shrew-brained fool." He let out a sigh, giving Foxclaw a look of interest. "You know the feeling, don't you? Wanting to be the one in charge, to have power over everyone."

Foxclaw averted her gaze, hating the fact that those last words piked her interest. Sure, she longed to be leader, but she wouldn't kill for it... would she?

"I can train you to be stronger, to be the most powerful cat in the forest. No one will be able to stop you." Blizzardpelt offered. "After all, you are my daughter, it's my duty to help you reach your full potential."

"I don't know about this, Snowbird didn't seem to think highly of you." Foxclaw replied, though was obviously interested. If Blizzardpelt was speaking the truth, he could help her become leader more quickly than she could do alone. But I can't trust him, he's a murderer.

"Come on Foxclaw, you're not going to let your mother control your life, are you? Aren't you an independent warrior now?" Blizzardpelt said with a slight teasing tone, causing Foxclaw to lash her tail in annoyance. "I can teach you everything the clans don't teach. There are so many more fighting moves for you to learn that no living cat knows about. You'll always have the upper hand in a fight."

Foxclaws ears were perked up. Always having the upper hand in a fight... I'd never lose. She thought it over as Blizzardpelt waited patiently. Finally, she spoke.

"Alright." She said, "I'll train with you. Just know that I won't hurt anyone if I don't have to, and you can't force me to do anything I don't want to do."

Blizzardpelt dipped his head. "Just as I'd expect. So, is it a deal then?"

With slight hesitation, Foxclaw nodded. "It's a deal."