10: Worries and Doubts

As Foxclaw padded out of the warriors den, her tortoiseshell pelt a mess, Oakstar approached her with a troubled expression on his face.

"Foxclaw, come to my den. We need to talk." He stated, his tail tip twitching. "I'm sure you know what this is about."

Foxclaw felt a wave of nervousness and fear thrashing within her body at his words. "O-of course, Oakstar."

*°*°*°*

"It all happened so fast... I was aiming for her ears, but I guess my aim was off or she moved or something... I swear, I didn't mean to... you know..." Foxclaw explained, her head down.

Oakstar let out a sigh, then spoke softly. "I'm sure it was a mistake, but now, HeatherClan is grieving. For their sake, I'll tell Darkflower not to put you on any HeatherClan border patrols, but... I believe you."

Foxclaw let out a deep breath in relief. "Thank you, Oakstar. I promise, it won't happen again."

"It better not." Oakstar said, with a dismissive swish of his brown tabby tail.

As Foxclaw padded out of the leader's den, she let out a sigh of relief. She was clean, Oakstar wouldn't punish her. Foxclaw shook her head, but it was an accident, I didn't lie!

But I might do it again....

In an attempt to shake the thought from her mind, Foxclaw approached Darkflower, who was organizing the morning patrols.

"Hey Darkflower, is there any patrol I can join?" Foxclaw asked, trying not to picture the day that this very cat could meet her end at Foxclaw's blow.

Darkflower looked over Foxclaw, her blue eyes unsure. "Well, you can join Sunscar, Soaringpaw, and Berrytail on the StreamClan border patrol in a bit, but groom yourself first, you look like you were just pulled through a bush backwards. Also, see Shadowheart and Cloudfoot, they wanted to check you for wounds from yesterday."

Foxclaw nodded. "Of course." She meowed, though really she wanted to snap at the deputy out of embarrassment. She should've known how messy her pelt was.

Turning away from the black she-cat, Foxclaw headed towards the medicine cat den. Before she could reach the den, Shadowheart- who had recently earned his full name- came running towards her.

"Finally! Why didn't you come get checked out last night? That's irresponsible as a warrior!" Shadowheart scolded, while already sniffing around Foxclaw's pelt. "And you want to be a mentor. Well, you need to be able to take care of yourself before you're responsible for another cat!"

"Okay, mom." Foxclaw responded, feeling satisfied at the annoyed look in her brother's eyes.

Shadowheart finished his examination with a breath of relief. "Good, just a few small scratches, you'll be fine. As annoying as you are, I still don't want you hurt."

"Well, that is kind of your job." Foxclaw pointed out.

"Shut up, mouse-brain. Maybe next time I won't worry and let your wounds get infected." Shadowheart retorted, before walking back to his den.

Foxclaw couldn't hold back a little laughter, knowing that she was the only one Shadowheart would talk to like that. To everyone else, he was polite, and held back any sharp retorts. That's true littermate love.

Remembering that she was a mess, Foxclaw began grooming herself. A familiar scent washed over her as she looked up into Stonecloud's deep green eyes.

"Need some help?" He asked.

Foxclaw had to go on patrol soon, and she might not have been able to fully groom herself before leaving. She gave Stoneclould a shy nod, and he came closer, rasping his tongue over her pelt. Foxclaw's pelt grew warm at the close contact, and she shuddered, but it felt nice.

Soon, Foxclaw could hear Sunscar calling to her. "Hey Foxclaw, you coming?"

Foxclaw looked back at the pale yellow tabby. "Yeah, I'm coming!" She gave Stonecloud a grateful look. "Thanks," she meowed.

"No problem. See you later, Foxclaw." Stonecloud purred.

Foxclaw nodded. "Yeah, see you." She stood, and padded towards her patrol with one look back at her best friend.