2

"Honey, you're home!" greeted the girl's mom at the door. The girl and her best friend parted ways to their separate homes. She just walked into her home. The girl hugged her mom very tightly, taking in the rich scent of her mom's mango perfume.

"How was school?" her mom asked, the usual question the girl would get when she came home from school. The girl smiled and answered, "It was good. I got an A on that World History exam!"

     "That's my baby girl! A smart cookie! Just...just like your dad..." said her mom, her joy was quickly replaced by remorse. The girl's dad died just a year ago from cancer. Luckily before he died, the girl came out to her dad about being asexual, the first person she came out to. Her dad was proud and accepted her for who she was. The girl didn't have to live with regret. She looked at her mom and said, "He would be proud of us."

     Her mom nodded, teary-eyed. The wound her dad left her mom and her hasn't healed, both still going through grief. Both had to rely on family members to cope. Suddenly the girl decided to take a risk. She looked at her mom, dead in the eyes, and said, "Mom...I need to tell you something."

     "Is everything alright, honey? Are you pregnant?!" her mom asked, worry and concern visible in her tone. The girl looked at her mom and said, "Actually it's the exact opposite."

      "Then what is it then?" her mom asked, slightly annoyed that her daughter wouldn't tell her the news already. Tension was thick enough to be cut with a knife. The girl glanced at her mom once more before whispering, "I can't do this!"

     She quickly sprinted upstairs and ran into her bedroom, shutting the door behind her. The girl began to cry, her tears ruining her makeup. She continued to cry until her mom opened the door and walked in. Her mom walked up to her and began to stroke her back, a traditional way she and her daughter would comfort each other. The girl's mom then asked, "Baby girl, why are you crying? Whatever it is, I promise I won't be mad at you, baby girl."

     "P-P-Promise?" the girl sniffled, her face stained with salty wet tears. Her mom nodded and pointed out her right pinky finger. The girl also held out her right pinky finger and they did a pinky promise. Her mom then waited for her to tell her the truth.

     "I'm asexual..." the girl mumbled. Her mom and her were quiet for a moment until her mom began to chuckle. The girl looked at her mom with concern. Her mom then laughed, "I thought it was something horrible!"

     "So...you're not gonna kick me out?" the girl asked. Her mom rapidly shook her head, no, and exclaimed, "Baby girl, I wouldn't NEVER kick you out! You're my only child! But I have one small question for you, baby girl."

     The girl sighed in relief. Two down, one more to go. She looked at her mom and told her, "Ok, lay it down."

     "I don't judge you at all and I love you, but doesn't everyone have a sexual drive? Is something broken inside your brain that makes you not have a sexual drive?" her mom asked with a bit of curiosity.

     "No, I'm not broken."