Six

As the last beep sounded, the arms surrounding me lost their leather suit, and the unforgiving material covering his chest gave way to soft cotton.

Snapping my eyes shut, I blurted, "Chat, go. I'm fine here, just leave."

"How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not going anywhere?"

"As many times as I insist you leave."

"Why should I? Don't you want to know who I am?" He released me, but I stubbornly kept my eyes closed, holding tightly to my towel.

"Yes! But I don't need to."

"Well you're going to be keeping your eyes closed for a very long time then, cause I'm not leaving until your parents get back tomorrow."

"Fine! Just... Just get me something to wear."

He left, leaving me alone. I considered grabbing the bottle of pills again, but thought better of it. Curiosity itched under my scalp, who was Chat Noir really?

When he returned, he passed me a t-shirt, sweatpants, and underwear through a small crack in the door. Slipping them on, I closed my eyes again and let him enter, even though he pleaded with me to open them. Stubbornly, I refused, then tried to stomp out the door.

Instead I smacked into a wall.

Smooth Marinette, smooth. A light laugh rung through the air, and he put his hands on my waist to steer me out of the bathroom. He sat me down on the chase I had in my room, his hands lingering a moment before moving again.

"You aren't even a little curious?" he asked, sitting down. Or at least, I think he was sitting down.

"Of course I am! But I know that if I had a secret identity," I was getting dangerously close to the truth, "I wouldn't want anyone to know."

I didn't realise how close he was until he whispered, "Do you have a secret identity, Princess?" in my ear.

"I-I... No?" I stuttered. He laughed a little.

"You sure about that, my lady?" I flinched. He only called Ladybug that. He knew it. I knew it.

"Yes, I'm sure. I'm pretty positive I would know if I had a secret identity."

He laughed again. My eyes were still shut, but I desperately wanted to open my eyes and see who he was. But I didn't want to know until he told Ladybug. I refused.

"What time is it?"

"It is..." I heard him pull out his phone and unlock it. "7:43. Are you hungry?"

"No."

"Do you have any cookies?"

"Yes, they're on the kitchen counter downstairs." Chat began to stand, but I reached out, stopping him. "Wait, please."

"What is it, Mari?"

"Why are you still here?"

"Because," he began, sliding his hand to my neck and rubbing my cheekbone with his thumb, "I don't want you die."

"Do you not trust me?"

"Not entirely, no. I just don't want you to do something irrational."

"I'm not going to do something irrational!"

"Yes, because I'm so convinced, miss 'I-refuse-to-open-my-eyes.'"

"...fair enough." He planted a gentle kiss on my forehead before walking downstairs to get the cookies. Flushing scarlet, I opened my mouth several times, but no sound came out. When he came back, he passed me a cookie, the only sound being the crunch of our chewing.

Hours passed. We talked a little, then just sat in silence. I still hadn't opened my eyes. Finally, it was late, and I was tired.

"Are you tired yet?" Chat yawned. I nodded sleepily. Standing, he scooped me up and walked up the stairs to my loft bed, laid me down, pulled the sheets up, then began to walk away.

"Wait!" I stopped him. "Will you stay?"

"Marinette, are you sure? I mean really we've--"

"Yes. I'm positive."

"But--"

"No buts, mister." I argued. He consented, and I heard a rustle of fabric and the jingle of a belt.

"Are you...?"

"My jeans are still on, Mari. Don't get so excited." I blushed again.

Then the bed sank under his weight, and the sheets were momentarily thrown back for him to crawl under.

"Goodnight, Princess."

"Night, Chat."