Seven

My sleep was full of nightmares. Chat and Adrien floated through them, dying in numerous ways. Several times I woke up, panic coursing through my veins, to stare at the ceiling and pat where Chat was, checking for the gentle rise and fall of his breathing.

When I fell back asleep near one in the morning, it was the worst. Chat was there, as always, but this time I was the one torturing him. The knife in my hand glistened with his blood, his screams echoed through my head. I couldn't stop. I wanted to, so badly. I couldn't hurt him like this.

I watched him die at my hands.

Waking up panting and sweating, I looked over and saw not Chat Noir, alive and perfectly safe, but Adrien Agreste, his blond hair falling across his forehead, his bare shoulders highlighted by the moon. Adrien, MY Adrien, was Chat. He looked so peaceful, like nothing was wrong. Like I hadn't killed him.

Chat, the hero who had saved my life, and I had killed him against my will.

The gentle rise and fall of his chest soothed some of my frayed nerves, but the tears falling on the bedspread wouldn't stop. I didn't want to wake him, but I wanted to talk to him, feel his heartbeat, watch him be alive.

I simply stared for I don't know how long, but he stirred a little, mumbling my name, then slowly opened his eyes.

"Mari?" he whispered. "Are you okay?"

"Sure."

Sitting up, he help open his arms. "You're not convincing me."

"I know." I mumbled, gratefully receiving his embrace.

He lay back down and I adjusted on his chest. "What happened?"

"You died." I said bluntly.

"How did I die?"

"I killed you." More silent tears.

"Did you want to?"

"No."

"Then why are you upset?"

"Because I couldn't stop. The knife that killed you was in my hand. Adrien... I can't stand myself being in pain let alone watching you die when I could nothing to help."

"Hey, look at me." I propped my chin up on his chest. "I'm right here. I'm perfectly safe. And I'm not leaving you."

"Even if I want you to?"

"Even if you want me to." He smiled, the light shining on his teeth. He yawned, then ran a hand up and down my back, slow and reassuring. "I'm glad I got to you in time." I said nothing. "Are you not, Princess?"

"I'm not sure."

"And why aren't you sure?"

"Because when morning light shines through that window," I gestured, "you have to leave me, and I'll be alone again living in fear of a nameless face with a knife. Because when morning comes you have to go to school, and I will have to face the music again; the fact that I have words carved in my stomach, I may not be mentally stable, and that I could just take a handful of pills and be gone won't change. I could freaking die tomorrow, and nobody will care. My parents love me, yes, but soon they'll move on. You'll forget me. The world will keep on turning, with or without me."

"Maybe, but my world would stop." He sat up, me sitting on his lap, my arms going around his neck. "Mari, I don't know what I would do without you."

He pressed his lips to my forehead, then trailed kisses down my temple, cheekbone, jaw, and finally landed on my lips. I couldn't tell you how long I had been waiting for this moment. Sliding his hands to the small of my back, he pulled me closer, and my hands tangled in his hair.

"Marinette," he sighed, pulling away. "don't leave me."

I didn't reply. I couldn't make any promises.

Instead I kissed him again, this time wrapping my legs around his waist. My heart was pounding so hard Adrien could probably feel it, and I wanted to freeze that moment and stay there forever. When we finally pulled away, we were both breathless and Adrian looked thoroughly kissed, his lips red and shiny, his eyes twinkling, and hair sticking up in odd places. Trying to imagine what I looked like through his eyes, I saw rosy cheeks, slightly curled hair, and lightly bruised lips.

I had a light smile on my face when he eased us back down and wrapped his arms around my waist.

I wanted to tell him many things. I wanted to tell him I loved him. I wanted to thank him. But most of all I wanted to apologize, because despite his best efforts, I was still slipping.