Chapter 1

Mitch's POV

"Mitchell Hughes, straighten those legs!" Mrs Crawford sternly yells at me. I frown and do as my dance instructor asks. I'm just trying to stretch my legs before we start today's lesson, and I can't even stretch my legs properly. Good going Mitch. What a great start to the semester. I sigh and take my foot off the bar. I look around to see around thirty other students here with me, a mixture of boys and girls. I do not know a single one of these people and none of these people even realise I exist. It's nothing new though.

We are all here for the same reason, to try to get into the next stage in which some are picked to perform in one of the highest ranked concerts in the country. It is very demanding and if I do manage to get past this stage, I'll be having school in the dance studio. That would be awesome, no school. It's not like I have any friends anyway. I'm just the freak that loves to dance.

"Everyone, line up!" The teacher yells at us. Everyone scurries to get in front of the teacher. She walks along and stares at us making me feel a little uncomfortable. Her eyes are so judgemental. But I guess any teacher has to be in order for the students to become better at whatever they are doing.

"Okay. Everyone, I have assigned you each a partner as if you make it past the first stage, each student will perform at least one duet depending on your skill. You will have this partner for the rest of this semester so the rest of this lesson will be used for you to get to know each other. The best duets and dancers are ones that have an actual connection with their partners, so I suggest you get to know each other if you want to progress any further."  She says causing everyone to starts whispering excitedly to each other. She starts reading out names and pairing a boy with girl. I start to get nervous as my name doesn't get called when there is only one boy left. What? This is strange. The teacher, Mrs Crawford walks up to me along with the other boy. He has dark brown hair, silver eyes and a broad, muscular build. I gulp a little.

"Mr Hughes, this is your partner, Jerome Aceti.  I know your probably confused. I was a friend of your old teachers. We have talked a lot and have decided that you should attempt to be the girl in this duet. Nothing like this has ever happened before so we thought we should attempt it since you are quite feminine and small." She states bluntly making my cheeks heat up in flames. Yeah, I'm feminine because I'm gay, that doesn't mean anything, does it...? Right? Though, I do find myself staring at the magnificent dresses that the ballerinas wear in envy. Would I have wear one if I make it past this stage?

"Um...okay? I mean, sure I'll give it a go. Though, will I have to wear pointe shoes?" I ask, looking at my teacher. She looks as if she was in her forties, she is very thin and quite short with a hard face. She is very intense, it's like if you say no she'll kill you with a glare. She nods.

"Yes you will. We have some out the back in which we need you to try on. Follow me." She says. I nod and trail close behind her. She opens the door the studio and then walks out, me following her. After weaving through hallways, passing studio by studio, some doing hip hop, some doing tap dancing, (I used to do tap dancing and ballet and I was really good at it too, I miss it, especially tap ;-;). she opens a door. I step inside to see rows of ballet dresses, boxes and props making my heart pump out of my chest. Holly crap, am I in heaven right now? I resist the urge just to run up to one of the dresses and beg the teacher to let me try it on. I will though, because I am determined that I will get past this stage, and then I become the ballerina I've always wanted to be. What am I saying? It's taboo for a man to be the female in a duet in the ballet community. How is this going to work then!? Teacher smiles a little at my face making my nerves decrease a little.