Ross Buford

Once again, I was in my coronation dress. But, it was different this time. Not only was I about to have a panic attack, but I was also getting ready to leave for my coronation. I paced back and forth in the main hallway of the academy as Raine and Rune were trying to get me to calm down. Everyone else had long ago left to secure their front-row seats to all of the madness.

My dark hair flew behind me, my golden bracelets rattled, and my pendant was hanging next to my breathless chest. The carriage was waiting outside but the horrible feeling in my stomach prevented me from leaving. I clutched my gut and tried to focus on breathing. On getting some fresh air into my lungs. But the air just wouldn't cooperate.

"Princess, you are going to hollow out a path. Stop worrying, you'll be fine. We'll make sure nothing happens to you," Rune placed his hands on my shoulders as he tried to reassure me. He was right. I knew exactly what to do, how to do it, and what not to do. The process wasn't what was worrying me, though. Not by a long shot.

"Riley said he had something big planned that he wouldn't tell anybody. What if he makes his move?" The worry returned and they groaned.

"We've gone over that a million times. Now, someone is waiting for you in the carriage. You probably shouldn't keep him waiting. Let's go." Raine led me to the carriage and helped me in. Before I could complain that nobody was in the carriage except me, he shut the door and mounted his horse. Raine and Rune would be my escorts.

"Wow, thanks for saying hello. I feel very appreciated, risking my life for you and whatnot. Really, though, it's fine," A voice mocked me from across me and I nearly screamed. "Don't worry. It's only me." Jem suddenly appeared and I couldn't help but look at him like he was crazy.

"Why were you invisible?" I felt my cheeks turn red. This was part of the plan that no one had mentioned to me. Though, I had to admit, I wasn't really going to complain.

"Marda wanted me to constantly be covering you. If any of your friends did it, King Xavier would realize someone was missing and he might grow suspicious. He gave me this ring. It's on, I turn invisible. It's off, everyone can see me." Jem held up a ring.

'Like in Lord of the Rings." I smiled but since he didn't understand I continued. We talked about the plan for several minutes before running out of stuff to say.

I finally got the courage to speak up about what was bothering me in the back of my mind. "Jem, before we go out there, I just wanted to say something. I might not get the chance to later and..." I trailed off. Jem sat beside me in the carriage, completely exposed since he was waiting until I was about to get out to slip into an invisibility charm. He looked at me, his eyes widened and his lips parted. The only reason he was here was to protect me the entire time I was walking up to my coronation. Professor Marda had personally asked him to protect me and all of my friends were skeptical, but I was completely grateful. I chickened out. "I just wanted to say thank you. You're risking a lot for me and I really appreciate it."

"Oh." I went to knock on the roof of the carriage but Jem snatched my wrist and we exchanged unsure looks. "Princess, I am really tired of holding this in. Aren't you?"

With that, I grabbed his face and kissed him. The heat of my lips and the coldness of his combined to form a perfect kiss. I felt as if I was as light as air. The kiss was over in seconds, separated by a voice that instantly made us move away from one another and blush furiously.

"Princess Vanessa, is everything okay in there? Is something wrong?"

"I'm fine. I just... I need to gather myself. I'll be out in a minute." My words were breathless, my mind was reeling with excitement and fear. What if someone found out? What if I really did die trying to stop King Xavier? What if Jem died? "We don't have to do this. We could just not show up, then King Xavier wouldn't have any choice but to post-pone the whole thing." I tried to plan an escape but he stopped me.