Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"We need to get another meeting," Noe declared as he paced in my office while I finished the last of the prison logs that Hades had dumped on my doorstep the next morning, "We need to start checking out everyone, including Hannibal."

The suspicion that the traitor was Hannibal hadn't faded from Noe's mind, nor my own. Yet, for some reason, it was difficult to imagine him betraying Cain. He worshipped the ground Cain walked on, despite Cain's obvious mistreatment of him. There was more to this than we thought. We were overlooking something, or rather, someone.

But who? What?

"Zelios, message Malachi." Noe insisted, coming up to my desk to smack his hands down on it, looking at me intently. I frowned for a moment, surprised by his insistence before I reluctantly pulled open my laptop and sent a message out to Malachi, as well as the rest of my brothers. Noe was right, we did need a meeting, however, I was finding it difficult to think about how I would communicate with my brothers. Most of them wouldn't want to take the time out of their day to read anything. Even the email I sent out might be useless to them, except maybe Malachi, but I needed to contact all of them, not just one. I sighed wearily, reaching up to pinch the bridge of my nose between my fingers when I felt a brush of air tickle my skin.

I looked up as Noe came to stand by my side, looking down at me. He still looked sad and guilty over what Hades had done to me, and there was no way for me to comfort him with words. So I reached out and took his hand in mine, smoothing my thumb over his bruised knuckles, making him lift his eyes to meet mine. Periwinkle orbs that made my heart soar.

While Hades's curse was a foul one, I thanked him each day that he didn't steal my sight. I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't able to see those beautiful eyes of his, gazing at me as if I were the only god that existed in the world. It warmed me to the core of my soul. I leaned over, placing a chaste kiss on top of his hand. Pink colored his cheeks as he cleared his throat, shifting a bit. I smiled at his awkwardness.

It was so adorable.

So Noe.

Apollo had honestly angered me before. I had wanted to tear him apart for the price he asked, even though I was the one willing to do it-- for Noe. However, I would also thank him each and every day for giving me back what mattered most in my life. I pulled Noe closer, turning my seat so I was facing him. I took both his hands into mine, pulling him so he was sitting in my lap now. He licked his lower lip anxiously, his eyes dropping to my lips. I leaned in, ghosting my lips over his, waiting for him to take charge. Hesitantly, he pushed his lips against mine, hard and hungry. I groaned from deep within my throat at the softness of his lips, the heat of his breath, the little moan.

Unfortunately, it didn't last long when the door opened and Noe leapt back. I stiffened in my seat for a moment before turning to face Thanatos, who had entered and looked uncomfortable at having ruined our moment.

"Uh, sorry," He said slowly, looking anywhere, but at us, "I probably should've knocked. Yeah, next time I'll just knock." I rolled my eyes and gestured Thanatos into the room. Thanatos shrugged, still looking a bit awkward as he shut the door behind him and approached me, holding his hand up and conjuring a file folder, handing it over.

"Hades sent this over. He wants it done by tomorrow night at the latest." He said grimly. I frowned, taking the file and pulling out a small stack of papers, all with small font. An entire list of new inmates and what was to be required for them. I grimaced as Noe stomped his foot, clenching his fists.

"What the hell is that," He protested angrily, then gestured a hand at me, "He's already weighed down with enough work to kill a human! Is Hades stupid or something? We're trying to find a traitor that could bring about the downfall of the underworld and all he cares about is torturing his own son." Thanatos gave him a droll stare, folding his arms over his chest.