Chapter 9

Ty was chilling in his room, watching tv on a pretty good television for out in the middle of nowhere when he heard a tiny knock, and he jumped. He muted the tv and listened, sure enough hearing it again, and he ducked down to lean over the side of his bed, seeing an upside down Adam. He tilted his head to see right side up, realizing with concern that the borrower was in tears.

"Adam?" He whispered, reaching out and brushing the back of a finger against the little guy's cheek. "What's wrong!?" Adam hiccuped, starting to sob again like he had on the way to where he stood. He couldn't let Harvey see him like this, so he had gone to his only other friend.

Ty bit his lip before easing himself off the bed, crouching down and gently cupping the borrower in his hands to scoop him up. Adam didn't protest, or even respond as he whimpered and buried his face in his petite hands. Ty brushed a small strand of bangs out of Adam's way and sat back against the wall, holding him to his chest.

"Shh... It's ok..." Adam whimpered and pressed against Ty's chest, shoulders shaking as he cried. Ty welcomed the usually ticklish sensation, knowing that Adam desperately need comfort.

"T-T-Ty...-" he tried to speak, but all that cane out was a raspy whimper.

"Shh... Don't talk, just relax..." Ty soothed, cupping the little guy to his chest. Adam let out another hiccupy sob, nuzzling his giant friend and clinging to his shirt. He needed to tell Ty the truth. Ty deserved to know that his best friend was still alive, and sitting in his very own hands.

"T-Ty..." Adam slowly looked up, starting to calm down. Ty tilted his head, lifting Adam up until he was standing on his hand like a platform, eye level with the human and just a few inches away.

"... Yeah?" He asked softly. Adam took a deep breath. This was it. He could explain everything, and then he and Harvey wouldn't have to be afraid or hide anymore.

"I... I-I'm-"

"Ty!" Ty jolted and swooped his hand down, clutching Adam in a fist and holding him to his midsection, out of sight of the intruder who had suddenly swung his door open and burst into the room. "Tyler did it! He found one!" Mitch panted. Ty furrowed his brow.

"Found what?" He questioned.

"Come quick! It's amazing!" The breathless Canadian darted away, and Ty looked down at Adam, silently questioning for any injuries from the sudden movement. Adam shook his head, and he squirmed out of the now-gentle fist, climbing into his pocket. Ty quickly got up and strided out of his room, jogging down the stairs quickly.

"What is it?" He asked, seeing his friends were crowded around one of the counters.

"Look what Tyler found!" Jason said excitedly. Ty peeked over his friend's shoulder, then widened his eyes with a stifled gasp.

Curled up in the center was Harvey, cowering under the curious gazes of the humans and trembling. Adam widened his eyes in horror, but he knew he had to keep quiet. Ty back away surreptitiously, pulling Adam out of his pocket and setting him on the floor, gesturing for the borrower to run away.

"Tiny people really do exist!" Jerome gasped.

"Aw he's so cute!" Jason cooed.

"He looks pretty thin, he must be really strong to survive at that size," Quentin analyzed.

"Where'd you find him?" Ian pondered out loud.

"Under the staircase-- there's like a little house there or something! And right under the boards! I heard squeaking so I went to investigate, and there he was!"

"Can I pick him up?" Jason pleaded.

"I don't see why not." At Jason's approaching hand, Harvey squealed in protest and tried to scamper away, only to be scooped up by his other hand.

"Aww, it's ok you cute little guy!" Jason soothed at Harvey's squeaks for help. "Gosh you're so tiny! My god!" Ty had hung back, biting his lip in fear for poor little Harvey. But he couldn't do anything. Adam looked wildly, realizing that maybe he could distract the humans from Harvey, or at least try. He climbed up the table leg as Jason played with Harvey, who was not having a good time as he continued to try and escape.

"Ow!" Jason cried out and dropped the borrower back on the counter. "He bit me!" He yelped, sucking on his finger. "He actually bit me!"

"Guess he doesn't like you!" Jerome teased.

"What are you gonna do with him Tyler?" Tyler sighed.

"I dunno... Keep him in a cage for a bit... Kill him? I doubt that.... Nah, selling would be better, we'd be rich!" Harvey's eyes widened in horror, and he shrank back, trying to back away when his back hit the wall. "Either way, gotta get him to trust me." Tyler had started reaching for the petrified borrower when a voice suddenly screamed "LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!"

Adam was standing on the table, straightened at a full height and posed with his fists clenched and his feet apart. Seven pairs of large eyes turned to him as the humans looked, widening their eyes in surprise. Adam was panting from the amount of courage and air it had taken to climb up and shout, but at least now he had their attention.

"HOW DARE YOU!!!" Adam shouted, using his boisterous voice to his advantage. He was almost as loud as a human, especially with the tone he was taking against the giant beings. "HOW DARE YOU JUST PICK HIM UP LIKE HE'S AN OBJECT, POKING AND PLAYING WITH HIM LIKE HE'S A BUG. HE'S A LIVING CREATURE, JUST LIKE ANY OF YOU-- WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF YOU WERE SNATCHED OUT OF YOUR HOME AND SCARED TO DEATH!?!? I DON'T THINK SO!!!" The humans were shocked at the tiny human's words, which were being wrapped up in consideration. Even Ty looked flabbergasted.

"And-" Adam panted. "AND IF YOU STOP AND THINK FOR ONE GODD*MN MOMENT, YOU'LL REALIZE THAT YOU AREN'T THE ONLY ONES THAT MATTER!!! MY NAME IS ADAM DAHLBERG, AND THAT BORROWER SAVED MY LIFE!!!!" Ty's eyes widened, gasping loudly.

"A-Adam...!?" He breathed. Adam, too wheezy to shout anymore, nodded wearily.

"That's right!" He called out. "So f*ck your curiosity and think about his perspective!!!" His voice dropped to a more persuasive murmur, still speaking loudly so the humans could hear. "Just think about it... Think about our size, being an inch or two tall... Fragile, unable to fight for yourself... Helpless." Adam blinked and lowered his gaze. "But it's not so bad, being tiny. As long as you stay out of sight and hidden, it can be fun scavenging for food... It's dangerous... But..." He slowly lifted his head, catching Harvey's eye. "Everything's better when you're not alone," he whispered. Harvey blinked, then slowly smiled. Adam smiled back, then sighed deeply, studying the humans' expressions. Had he persuaded them?

Tyler was the first to move. He slowly reached over to Harvey, and before the borrower could react, he picked him up by the hoodie again and carried him over to Adam, crouching down and setting the shaken up borrower gently on the table. Adam scampered forward and locked Harvey into a hug, to which the borrower shuddered in relief and hugged back tightly.

"Thank you..." Harvey whispered. Adam smiled, nuzzling his shoulder.

"No problem."

"Adam...?" Adam pulled out of the hug and looked up as Ty crouched down, staring incredulously at the tiny human. "Is it-is it really you?" He breathed. Adam took a deep breath and slowly nodded.

"Yeah... I'm alive."