Chapter One

Sophie sighs as she begins to wonder why she came down to the exercise room with Troy and Mr. Bolton in the first place. She could be upstairs with Mrs. Bolton having a good time right now. No, Troy had to go and look at her with those deep, blue eyes and ask her to come watch him throw a ball into a hoop over and over again.

Sophie groans as she looks up at the clock, realizing that another hour has gone by. She flops onto her back and stares at the ceiling as she listens to her boyfriend getting coached by his father. Feeling her hat slip off, Sophie shrugs and uses it as a pillow.

"Keep working left, Troy." Mr Bolton says through his labored breathing. "Got a guard in the championship game we're expectin', you'll torch 'em!" he exclaims. Troy stares determinedly at the wall with his back to his father.

"Am I going left?" Troy asks.

"Yeah, he looks middle, you take it downtown," Mr. Bolton coaches.

"Okay, like this?" Troy says as he spins around and shoots the basketball.

Once he sees that Troy scored, Mr Bolton exclaims, "Whoo! That's it man, sweet. Let's see that in the game!"

Through Troy's and Mr. Bolton's excited chatter, Sophie hears her savior enter the room.

"Boys?" Mrs. Bolton begins, "Did we really fly all this way to play more basketball?"

Looking somewhat sheepish, the father and son duo confirm what Mrs. Bolton doesn't want to hear. Twirling around, Mrs. Bolton begins to explain where everyone was supposed to be.

"It's the last night of vacation. The party, remember?" She scolds.

Trying to redeem himself, Mr. Bolton acts like he remembers saying, "Right, the party-New Year's Eve!"

Not falling for it, Mrs. Bolton turns her attention to her son, "Troy, they have a kid's party downstairs in the Freestyle Club."

Letting out a not-so-silent cheer, Sophie gets up from the floor, knowing that her time in the sweaty, musty room was over and she was about to get her party on. Ignoring Troy's disgust at the thought of a kid party, Sophie strolls over to him.

"Come on, one more!" Troy pleads to his mother, but once Sophie snatches his hand and begins to leave the room, he turns his pleading to her.

"Last one, real quick Soph!"

"I've been sitting on that floor for more than three hours, Troy." Sophie states.

"And I love you for that," assured Troy in his attempts to charm his girlfriend. Sophie turns to Troy and smiles, causing him to halt his protesting, letting her drag him to go get ready.

"We are going to go get ready for the kids party!" chirped Sophie as she waves goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Bolton. Troy put his arm around Sophie as they exit, ignoring his dad as he mumbles something about being whipped and the sound of a light slap that followed.

"Young adult party," Troy tries to say to his girlfriend.

"Whatever you say babe."