Chapter Eleven

When the end of the school day came, Sophie and Troy found themselves in detention- Darbus Style. Troy was currently sitting on the top of a handmade tree, stapling leaves to the branches while Sophie added finishing touches to the bottom of the tree.

The couple were slightly worried because they were missing their after school practices. Sophie talked with the cheerleading captain earlier who said it was fine, but Sophie still worried about being behind on the cheers. Troy, however, simply went to the detention without texting his dad, the coach, to notify him of his absence. Sophie told him straight up that that was stupid.

    "Gold! More gold!" Ms. Darbus directed from somewhere on the stage. Seeing Ms.  Darbus heading their way from his high position on the tree, Troy snapped his fingers quickly to gain his girlfriend's attention. Sensing the urgency, Sophie kicked Chad's foot from her criss-cross position on the floor. He was sleeping inside of the tree with his head resting in the hollow. Chad woke up immediately and started painting with a wary look on his face as Ms. Darbus walked past them.

    "Paint, paint! Let's go!" Ms. Darbus ordered.

    Wanting to see who she was talking to, Sophie looked over to see Gabriella painting faster with a slightly scared look on her face. Just as Ms. Darbus left, Taylor McKessie practically sprinted to Gabriella's side with a piece of paper in her hands.

    "The answer is yes!" Taylor squeals.

    "Huh?" Gabriella mumbles in confusion.

    "Our scholastic decathlon team has its first competition next week, and there is certainly a spot for you," continues Taylor.

    "Where did those come from?" worries Gabriella when she sees the paper in Taylor's hand.

    Confused, Taylor says, "Didn't you put them in my locker?"

    "Oh course not."

    "Oh, well, we'd love to have you on our team. We meet almost everyday after school," Taylor explains. Seeing hesitation she adds, "Please?"

    "I need to catch up on the curriculum before I even think about joining any clubs." Gabriella concludes.

    As Sharpay walks up to put her two cents in, Sophie rolls her eyes and looks up at her boyfriend at the top of the tree. Seeing him making funny faces at her, she laughs before making a few back. They stop immediately when Ms. Darbus' voice rings out with words about her drama club needing help and the evil of cell phones.

    As the lecture on phones and the dramatic arts got longer and longer, Chad once again fell asleep in the tree hollow. Sophie watches as Troy dangles a leaf in Chad's face, causing Chad's nose to scrunch up in irritation now and then.

    Sophie jumps at the sudden noise of the theater doors being slammed open. Turning around she sees Mr. Bolton jogging down the aisle with a thunderous look on his face.

    "Where's my team, Darbus?" Mr. Bolton demands. Getting closer to the stage he spots Troy and Chad. "What the heck are those two doing in a tree?"

    "It's called crime and punishment, Bolton. Besides, proximity to the arts is cleansing for the soul," Ms. Darbus claims.

    "Can we have a talk please," Mr. Bolton motions to himself and Ms. Darbus. Turning to his son and Chad he barks, "And you two, in the gym, now!"

    Having stood up during the confrontation, Sophie watches as Troy jumps from the top of the tree. Seeing that Chad is hiding in the tree, Sophie grabs him and pushes him towards her boyfriend who smiles at her briefly in thanks.

    "I'll see you at six?" Troy whispers as he walks past, causing Sophie to nod in confirmation.

    Sophie watches as Troy and Chad basically sprint to the gym. She gives a half hearted wave to Mr. Bolton when he looks at her, gaining a weak smile in return before he walks away with Ms. Darbus.

    "Woah," Sophie hears Gabriella breathe out when the doors closed behind the teachers.

    "Yeah."

Thank you all so much for voting!!! I would love to hear what you guys think about this chapter!!