Chapter Ten

After free period, Sophie made her way to science class. Walking into the room she noticed that Gabriella was already seated in her assigned seat. Letting out a soft squeal, Sophie swiftly made her way across the room to join her- and now Gabriella's- table.

"I don't think I've ever smiled in this class as much as I am right now," Sophie laughed, excited that her new friend was in her most hated class and seated next to her.

"Well, I'm glad my presence brings you happiness," chuckled Gabriella.

"It brings me more than happiness, my friend. Somehow, this room seems brighter in a way. Not as dull. The smell isn't as strong, that's for sure. These tables seem cleaner. The teacher-happier," Sophie joked as she pulled out her notebook and pen.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment," Gabriella giggled, also pleased by the sight of her friend.

"Well, there's just no other way to take it," confirmed Sophie. After taking a look at the board, Sophie let out a huge groan.

Looking in the direction of aggravation, Gabriella laughed. On the board were a series of equations, most likely left over from the previous class.

"You know, I have one math class. I don't really see the need to have two," Sophie whined.

"What's wrong with a little math here and there," Gabriella teased.

"The fact that it isn't 'a little'," grumbled Sophie.

Any further conversation was halted once the bell rang and Mrs. Johnson started the lesson. About 30 minutes into the period, Mrs. Johnson let the students work quietly while she went over problems on the board for students who asked questions.

Keeping an eye on the board for any of their questions, Sophie and Gabriella chatted quietly about their work.

"So," the girls heard, causing them to jump at the sudden chirp from the other side of the lab table. Not really caring about the startled expression on their faces, Sharpy continued, "It seemed like you knew Troy Bolton."

"Well, he's my boyfriend so-"

"Not you," barked Sharpay.

Realizing Sharpay was looking at her expectantly, Gabriella was quick to answer, "Not really. He was just helping Sophie show me around."

Sophie just watched as Sharpay chuckled and leaned in closer to talk to Gabriella. She didn't like the look on Sharpay's face. Sharkpay was swimming under the surface of her friendly persona.

"Well, Troy doesn't usually interact with new students," Sharpay confided as if she was revealing some big secret. Sophie kinda shrugged at this, knowing it was mostly the truth.

Gabriella wasn't really interested in the conversation, getting the feeling that Sharpay was the self-proclaimed Queen Bee. Between glancing at the chalkboard and her notebook, Gabriella managed to mumble a distracted, "Why not?"

"Well it's pretty much basketball 24/7 with him." Sharpay concluded, ignoring the scoff that came out of Sophie's mouth.

Before Sophie could open her mouth to correct Sharpay's statement, she heard Gabriella mumble something about pie. Luckily, before Sophie could ask her friend why she was talking about pie in the middle of class, the teacher interrupted her.

"Yes, Miss Montez?" Mrs. Johnson asked.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I just..." Gabriella trailed off, "Uh, Shouldn't the second equation read 16 over pi."

Sophie let the feeling of stupidity wash over her for a second before laughing slightly. She almost wished she asked about pie to see the general reaction around her.

"16 over pi? That's quite impossible," the teacher mumbles while pulling out the calculator.

"I stand corrected," she smiles, fixing the equation on the board, "Oh, and welcome aboard."

Sharpay huffs and walks away as the bell rings.

"Well, that just happened," noted Sophie.

"What?"

"Shark attack."

"What?"

"Oh, nothing."

I'm sorry it took me so long to update this chapter! I'm so happy people are reading this book and voting! I hope to see some comments to see what you guys all think! And I just used too many exclamation marks but I'm just so happy!!!