Chapter 1

Hilla Haddock, New York's best Detective, strode forward through NYPD Police Department with her head held high and her shoulders held back in a intimidating manner. In her hands was a folder of the latest crime she had solved. Everyone in the Department knew of Hilla's reputation and knew of her horrible past of being bullied in school. Her father was the cheif of Berk's Police Department and was happy that Hilla wanted to become a Detective to put her past behind her but wasn't happy that she had left home to go to New York to pursue her detective career. She opened the door with her ivory skinned, and rough calloused, hand and walked into the office of her boss.

"Detective Eret, Detective Hilla here with our most recent murder crime case that has been cracked," Hilla said with a professional tone.

She wore a black dressy jacket with black dressy pants, black high heels, and a bright red shirt underneath the black jacket. The seat in front of her, and a black polished wooden desk, turned around to reveal a man with short black hair, light sky blue eyes, pale skin, and a blue birthmark on his chin while wearing a dark grey pantsuit with a white dressy shirt and a red tie. His name was Eret Eretson and was known as a great detective mentor to Hilla after she came to train with them at the age of 18. Hilla looked up to him as a mentor and father figure since her birth father was never there for her in the old days.

Now, she seeks justice through which can be served by walking on the right side of the law. Eret smiled at Hilla and said "Well done Detective Hilla. If I may ask, who was our murderer in this crime case that you cracked?"

Smiling, Hilla opened her folder and placed a couple of pictures down of the victim, at his desk, for him to look over, and the murder before saying, "Adam Creeps. Known to the police department as Messy Jailbreaker. Recently escaped from jail three months ago and has been on the run from the police since. No one knew of his exact location until now."

After she said that, Hilla placed another picture down that showed a satellite image of Boston, Massachusetts and a red circle in the lower part of the city. "Okay, I'll contact Boston PD and inform them of Adam while you give this to Jacob and have him find the coordinates for us to send to them. Well done Hilla, you outdid yourself once again," Eret said seriously before turning his last sentence into a praising tone.

Eret then picked up his phone and started dialing the number for the Boston Police Department while Hilla took the satellite image over to their second best computer guy. Her long auburn ponytail hair swished from side to side as she walked forward while scanning for Jacob with forest green eyes. Smiling as she found him, Hilla walked over to Jacob and relayed the orders to him from Detective Eret. Jacob complied to his orders while Hilla went to her own station and opened up her own laptop to find out if there were anymore mystery crimes for her to handle.

"I don't get it," a soft voice said next to her desk making Hilla look up to see Dr. Heather Borgress sitting on top of her desk with a soft smile on her face.

"What don't you get Heather? That I solved another crime with ease?" Hilla asked her best friend confused of her best friends antics.

(Chuckles a bit) "No, that you do all this work and don't even think about taking a vacation at all like the rest of us," Heather replied in an amusing tone.

"Heather. The last time I went on a vacation was back home and I didn't like it for the past 18 years of my life. You should know by now that I don't want to return back home and I'm pretty sure that by vacation, you mean that I should take off to return home," Hilla said in a serious tone before getting back to her job.

(Sighs) "You can't avoid them forever Hilla. You know that as well as I do that one day, one of your mystery-solving cases is going to lead you back to them. I know what they did to you and I'm sure that they probably realize that now and are waiting for you to return," Heather replied back softly while tucking back a piece of her pure black hair behind her flawless ivory-skinned ear.