Ch. 4

From the darkness a Moloch demon crawled, acid dripping from its fangs.

It lies. It hissed. It doesn't have any light.

"Stay back!" Alec yelled.

When the demon slithered forward, Alec did something he never thought he'd do: he ran.

His soggy converse beat the sidewalk, but the Moloch demon was fast. It seemed to swim across the ground, claws digging into the cement.

Even though his Strength and Endurance Marks were gone, he had been trained as a Shadowhunter. He sprinted for blocks, his breathing steady.

As he turned a corner, his numb cold feet betrayed, catching a loose brick. He fell, his temple striking the ground, drawing blood. He quickly rolled to the side, the demon skidding past him. It turned, its green eyes glowing.

Alec let out a shout as it lunged, its maw threatening to rip his head off.

He ducked, but not fast enough. Its fangs clipped his shoulder and he screamed as the venom entered his bloodstream.

It withdrew and tensed, ready to strike again.

"Ah fu-"The demon exploded in a spray of ichor.

"If Maryse hears you using that language, she'll wash your mouth with soap."

"Jace." Alec sighed with relief. "How'd you-"

"I could feel your adrenaline. From there if followed the sounds of a girly scream."

"Oh by the Angel." He breathed, leaning against the building.

The blonde boy knelt next to him. "Now that I saved your podex... What the hell were you thinking?! Out here at night, weaponless, runeless, and soaking wet! Why are you soaking wet? Never mind, I don't want to know. You were almost demon dinner!"

"Sorry..." His blue eyes looked at the ground.

"Sorry?! Do you-"Jace noticed the dark blood falling off Alec's shoulder and his expression melted into concern. He whipped out his stele and drew an iratze on his collarbone, but it dissolved.

"Damnit! Why is it you who always gets poisoned?!"

Alec sighed again. "Its not bad. Dad has the remedy for Moloch venom. Help me up."

Jace wrapped an arm around the taller boy's waist, hoisting him up.

"Its almost a mile to the Institute. Can you make it?"

"Pff. I'll be fine." Alec took a step and almost fell, dizziness swarming over him. Jace caught him, frowning.

"Put my coat on, I'll hail a cab."

Alec did what the younger Shadowhunter asked, wincing as the leather rubbed against his gash.

Jace called a taxi over and they slid in. He rattled off the Institutes address to the cabbie and they sped away. A cold sweat broke out on Alec's forehead and he leaned against the window.

"Is he okay?" The driver asked.

"Just one too many." Jace replied curtly. In just a few minutes they pulled up in front of the rickety church. At least that's what the cab driver thought.

"Are you sure this is the place?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

The skeptic driver rattled off the meter and Jace practically dragged Alec out, supporting him.

"Druggies." The cabbie muttered as he drove away.

Just before they got to the door, Alec fell to his knees and retched into the garden.

"Jesus Alec. Come on." Jace pushed the door open, ringing the bell to awake the others. He half dragged his vertigo plagued parabatai into the infirmary and lay him on the white sheets.

"Jace? Alec?" Isabelle called.

"Here Izzy."

The Lightwoods and Clary burst in.

"Alec?!" The smallest Lightwood, Max, sprinted to his side. "Are you okay?!"

Alec gave him a tired smile and tousled his hair. ""I'm alright Max. Just a little papercut."

"What kind of demon?" Izzy asked franticly.

Jace raised his hands to calm her. "It's alright, just a Moloch demon. He just needs an herbal brew and some sleep and he'll be good as new. He might have hypothermia-"Jace glanced over to his adopted brother who was starting to doze off.

"Alec?!" Jace tapped his cheek. "Come on buddy, stay awake."

Clary knelt next to Alec. "Do you feel okay?"

He just glared at her.

"Everyone clear out, its bad luck to crowd an Infirmary." Robert commanded.

wrWQ