We have to find him/We have to run for him

Mystic Falls 2019
"More on today's news, numerous sources do confirm that another bloody massacre took place today in Vancouver last night on New Year's Day. Though whatever caused this remains unknown, the police are compiling a list of witnesses and possible evidence which could lead to a potential suspect."

Just as Stefan sees the news, I turn it off; three years more suffering is too much for him to handle right now. Except, he knows what's happening: it's his own brother who's causing all this, and we have to find him and help him get through this. Bonnie's barely left her room in over a week, she won't stop practicing her magic and yet she's failed repeatedly. How did we ever get here?
Opening my diary as a distraction, I make a start on the latest chapter:
Dear Elena,
I can't express how relieved you would be to not be here right now, but if I could trade places with you right now, I would. Stefan's been broken ever since Damon lost himself and now he and Enzo scour every corner of the world, terrorising innocent lives, and we'd do whatever we could to save them, but we can't; we've travelled the world endlessly, looking, asking, turning over stone after stone until finally we received no word of a massacre for three years. But now the sparks have lit again, and after trying to help Stefan, I think I made a mistake - he's not been himself for a long time now, Elena and I thought it was right to try and make things new again, but they've only escalated to worse. Most days, Stefan and Bonnie won't even look at me, let alone notice me, and I miss you so much, I wish you were here and now to put a smile on my face; on everyone's face, actually. Only, you still have at least another sixty years before you wake and we all get to welcome you back home, but right now this world isn't the world that you want to live in right now. We've all lost so much, now we're just stuck and the winds aren't taking us anywhere, but I don't have anything to look for now, except one in particular:

Three years ago, I travelled to New Orleans with Ric's daughters; I was looking for Klaus, hoping he could help me, but he wasn't there, and I still think about it every day, if I could go back to New Orleans now, it would probably just be an old picture that I buried in the page of a scrap book that I put away for safekeeping. What hurts the most is I just left after finding out Klaus had been gone for three years, I never took the chance to look around, find anything that he'd left behind, like a trail of breadcrumbs for me to follow and lead me in his direction. I hope he's ok.
Your friend, Caroline.
*****
Stefan's at it again; pouring himself a glass of bourbon, ignoring me, taking a drink and then throwing it in the fireplace, I can't even believe he still has enough glasses. The rage is out of his system, and now he's probably going back upstairs to bury himself under fifty bed sheets. I can't take this anymore.
"Stefan, look, I know how bad this is, but Damon could be there in Vancouver right now, all we have to do is go there as fast as we can and do whatever to find him and Enzo. Come on, we can't just sit here like lost birds in the nest waiting for the mother to come home and guide us. Stefan, come on, I haven't given up, and neither should you or Bonnie."
Stefan ghosts me and walks out of the room. He never even looked at me.
What'd I tell you, Elena, we're nothing, but a bunch of lost pups now. But me - the Caroline Forbes pup am not giving up. I'm actually going to do something, and first things first, I'm gonna go to New Orleans and do whatever I can to find Klaus, I don't care how long or whatever it takes. I will do what I can to make this right.

*****
Vancouver 05:19 a.m.
I had hope we would be safe here and could maybe settle down for once, but I was wrong. He's here right now, and we can't stay, otherwise everything that I've fought to protect them and her will be for nothing. I promised him that I'd take care of her and save our family, they may be dying, but right now they have enough time to last them for as long as they have to. In six years, I've been chasing after every possible lead, tracking cure after cure and nothing. Wolves have been slaughtered wherever, I go, and right now I have only one-seventh of a probable cure for the irritating rash-like marks on Kol and Elijah. Perhaps all I can do now is keep running, keep hiding and protecting them and her, but I can't just sit here now. I'm tired, but there's no time to waste. Every second either puts me in danger or keeps me safe, but it can never be just one or the other.
  Hope's really grown - I can only imagine how much her father would have given anything to see her now, to see her grow up. See hair that shines in unison to the sun; golden and an aura that can transform the face of every man that lays eyes on her. She's now eight, she can talk just as well, but she has no friends, no school; what kind of mother lies to her daughter and never even tells her that her father is still alive and suffering in the very place where she was born and almost killed? She never once asked me about her father- she will one day, but I don't know what I'll say to her. Her light head is resting comfortably on the clear-white pillow on her hotel room bed. She'll be so tired, but I can't let her stay here knowing that she'll be in danger.
Trying to lift her now is not as easy as it was before. Soft moans escape from her as I remove her from the soft bed and pull her in close to my shoulders. Her light-green nightdress that she's wearing right now will have to be all she wears for now until we've put as much as a thousand miles of distance between us and this entire city.
Luckily, I never brought much up to the room; all of our clothes and bags are still in the truck that I e been driving for the last six years. Dirt and rust have contaminated almost every square inch of the axels, the whole outside is rusty, but where else am I going to find a truck to fit four large coffins?
  The hallway outside the room is still dimly lit - at least Hopes still sleeping, but I'm more worried about what will happen if she wakes up. I remember that on the very first day we left New Orleans, we made a pit stop off at a garage in Atlanta, we made a reservation at a hotel and were forced to spend the night. Hope couldn't sleep, she was probably having a night,are, I don't know, but I couldn't stop her crying. I don't know what it was, but after that night she never cried or screamed once ever again. Most days her face is calm and she looks like she in a trance; when we travelled to San Diego, I took her to the zoo and she walked though an entire crowd of people like she was a ghost haunting them from another plane of existence. It even made me feel scared. Not that she never expresses any emotion; she's as kind a girl as I wish I was when I was her age; I couldn't trust anyone after I was abandoned by my real parents. Hope sometimes looks at me and to either side of me like there's someone standing next to me when there's not. Perhaps her life can't be the way I want to give it to her.
*****
"Mommy?" Hope's now awake.
   "Shh, it's okay, we just have to leave now. Go back to sleep." I whisper my last words to her self lay as her eyes close together again.
    The engine starts and we're off yet again. Street lights, lamps and neon lighting are still dimly lit that the reflections of their lighting is mirrored in the lakes that stream from under the bridges where ships set sail. A full moon sets a white light shining down upon us all, and I remember when Klaus and I discussed when Hopes time would one day come. I wish he were here now. All of my efforts so far have been in vain; I have found not one cure for the dying Mikaelson's. Not one witch that I've met will help me. Everyone I met was either dead or shunned me for who I was, who my daughter was and who I was with. The ancestors in New Orleans were cut off from us thanks to Davina Claire who was horrifically sacrificed in an effort for us to stop Klaus' first sire. Marcel Gerard is now the progeny of Klaus that managed to trump him and his family, but he failed in ridding the world of them just as the others. Only this time there may be no hope and with every second that passes, another creature, whatever he or she might be becomes a victim of Marcel Gerard.
   *****
We've been driving for an hour and a half and all of a sudden I'm starting to feel the engine span out of control. I check the dial for the measure of diesel, it's almost on the red line at the far end. I must've forgotten to refill after we left Vancouver. This is bad.

What do I do now? Please, Klaus...

....help me.