Chapter 2

Luke doesn't know anything that had happened only seconds before. He was picking up pizza and talking to his dad. "Hey daddio." Luke yells to his dad at the counter as he walks in the front 

          "Hey Lukey. I got you're pizza right here."

          "Thanks dad." Luke said before turning around and walking toward the door. "Oh yeah," Luke added, "Do you think  that I can have a talk with you and mom tomorrow. It's sort of important."

          "What did a scout finally get back to you." Mr. Robichaud didn't support Luke's professional decisions.  He was a real business man himself before he retired and started a pizza joint. He wishes Luke would take after him but Luke is focused on making his baseball career work. And he's off to a pretty good start.

          "Bbbbzzzzzz bbbbzzzzzz bbbbzzzzzzz," Luke's phone rings. He picks up and his dad watches his mouth drop to the ground. Then a single tear rolled down his face. Then another tear then more and more. That's when his father ran over to him and hugged him. Luke's brand new phone fell right out of his hand and on to the ground.

          "Meg...Megan...s...dea...dea...dead." Luke could barely get the words out of his mouth. It felt like he was choking every time he opened it. He collapsed onto the ground socked in his own tears and pizza toppings.

          Luke's dad watched in terror as he hears his future daughter in law is dead and his son collapses to the ground in shock. He realized that he was now sitting in a chair and also crying.

          All the other customers were staring and a few had there phones out calling 911. None of those customers or even Luke's dad knew what Meghan meant to him especially now. He just got a tryout and with his talent that's almost a guaranteed spot on the team. 

          Luke and Meghan were about to start a life together; a good life. They would spoil their kids and Luke would look up at them and Meg sitting in the front row. Luke would play for them. He would make outs for them; he would get hits for them; he would win for them. But now, all that's gone. Luke will have no one in the stands watching him because he has no one to sit in the stands watching him. Luke probably won't even play anymore. This ruins everything. 

          "Luke!!!!! Richard!!!!! What happened?" Luke's mom screamed at the top of her lungs for all the customers to hear. By now all the customers have gathered around Luke and his dad in a tightly knit circle. Jessica, Luke's mom, broke the people apart and dropped to her knees putting two fingers up to Luke's neck checking to see if he was alive. 

          Luke's body was fine but his heart wasn't. Jessica called an ambulance anyway. If not for Luke then for Richard because he was sitting in a chair staring at blank space only blinking every thirty seconds, but still not moving even the tiniest muscle in his body.

          "Did anyone see what happened. What were they talking about." Jessica asked everybody in the croud.

          "I was walking by when this guy passed out," Some guy with pizza stains all over his shirt and face begain. "He said something about a Meghan being dead or something. If that even means anything to you. 

        "Wait Meghan! Meghan's dead? How? When? Are you sure?"

          "I heard the same thing." Another lady spoke up.

          Jess pulled up a chair next to her husband Richard and began to shake her head, over and over again. Richard liked Meghan a lot more than Jessica did, but Jess did care about her son. And her son cared about Meghan. That did matter to her.

          Siriens were blaring you could hear them coming from every direction. It began to get louder and louder until they were finally at the door step. Cops and paramedics came barraling in. The croud of people backed up and let them through. 

          "Ma'am are you the one who called?" One of the officers asked Jessica as the paramedics and the other police officers focused their attention on Luke and Richard.

"Ma'am?" The officer asked again.

"Yeah, yeah. That was me. Is it true? Is Meghan dead?" Jessica asked still not believing what she had heard from the customers.

"Who's Meghan, ma'am?" The officer asked in a comforting voice.

"His fiance" She responded pointing at the still passed out Luke on the ground.