Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

       “Elle! Come down here, dear!” my mom called from somewhere in the house.

       “No!” I yelled back. I was still tired from the whole Africa trip. We had gotten back two days ago, and I was still in the whole adjusting phase. The first thing I did when I got home was a take a nice long shower. It felt so good to feel the nice clean, warm water.

       “Elle! Now!” she hollered more forcefully.

       “No!” I shouted back, in no mood to leave the comfort of my room.

       “Elle! You won’t see your car for a week if you don’t come down by the time I count to three!” she threatened, making me feel as if I was a mere toddler.

       “You’ve got to be kidding me!” I groaned out of annoyance.

       Then I heard it, “One… two! Elle, don’t make me get to three!” Unhappily, I rushed downstairs to see my mom standing there with none other than Cameron. CAMERON! I ran right back up the stairs, not even caring about what she was yelling.

       Why was he in my house? Why was he even here? The universe is somehow punishing me in a way I can’t fathom! I got out my phone, and quickly scrolled through my contacts. I pressed call, and thank god they picked up.

       “Hello?” she said.

       “Hey, Kara! I need you to come over my house!” I said frantically, slumping onto my bed.

       “Uh... Elle, what’s the matter?” she asked, worried.

       “Cameron Prescott is in my house.” I heard a muffled sound, and then she hung up.

       “Elle! Why is Cam here?” Jordan asked, coming into my room.

       “How the hell am I suppose to know? All I know is that I want him out!” I cried, throwing my hands up.

       “Elle, chill,” Jordan said calmly, which made me even more aggitated.

       “Jordan, shut up!” I mimicked in his serene tone.

       “Elle!” I heard my mom call in a tone of hers so harsh the last time I had heard it was when I got a D on a science test. I didn’t respond.

       “Elle, come on, we’ll go figure out what’s happening,” Jordan said, grabbing my ankle, and literally pulling my off of bed.

       “Let go!” Like the good brother he was, he dropped me.

       “Elle, now is that any way to treat a guest?” Cam asked, appearing in the frame of my door.

       “Get out!” I yelled.

       “Cam, why are you here?” Jordan asked.

       “Nice to see you too,” Cam said.

       “Elle Pateron, what in the world is going on here?” my mom demanded.

       “Mom, why the hell is Cameron here, in our house?” I raged.

       “Watch your language!” she warned.

       “Answer my question!”

       “Cameron will be staying at our home while he’s here attending your school for the next few months. We’ll be his host family.”

       “Nooooooooooo!” I screamed.

       I could feel the adrenalin coursing through my veins. I was working myself up. When I was younger, I used to do this all the time. Anytime something got tough, and I didn’t want to deal with it, all that built up anxiety would cause me to get light headed. In the past, I’ve thrown up, but, right now, that wasn’t the case. I was too overwhelmed, and couldn’t deal with everything going on around me anymore. I felt dizzy. Suddenly, everything went black.