Chapter 68. Simple Joke

Okay, guys. This chapter has been written for months now. I only finished the last bits and posted it.

So, many people chose number 1 in the previous poll, but I also read a lot of comments and I realized what a shame it is to just end it like that. Also, when I wrote the last parts of this, it felt like I was a little back to my writer self.

Here's what I'm going to do.

I will try to keep on writing until it is 2017. If I don't update 5-10 chaps within that span of time, then I really will end it with a plot summary. If I managed to post at least 5, I'll keep it going. If that happens, keep in mind that my updates might still be slow, but in my opinion, that's better than regretting leaving this story like option 1 and 2.

"If you don't want to come, I can just tell them something came up." I muttered as I glanced at Droney, walking beside me to the diner.

"Too late." Droney sighed, fixing the collar of his jacket, "They already know I'm coming."

"What's the big deal? They'll understand." I questioned.

Earlier in the office, I got a little carried away and told Rachel that Droney is definitely coming without asking him yet. Droney doesn't have anything to do, but he's still fuming, saying he doesn't want to attend the teachers' night out. It doesn't make any sense to me. He's usually one for social gatherings.

"I don't like going drinking with people from work." He sighed once more, slowing down his pace as we got closer to the diner.

"That's unexpected." I blurted out, "Why?"

"It's just a rule, alright?" He dismissed, "Weird shit happens when someone's drunk. I'll never do it again. I'm not drinking that much. Like, I have a high tolerance, but I'm still taking precau-"

"What's gotten into you?" I stopped him, "I'm seriously confused."

Our walking was put to a halt as we looked at each other, "Look, the last time I went drinking with a coworker from the college, we ended up sleeping together and I don't even remember anything." He elaborated, "After that, I was basically forced into a relationship." He gave me a frantic look as if he's the victim, "I mean, I did break up with her after a week, but she's been bitching about it ever since. Do you know how stressful that is?"

"Oh . . ." It was all I could say after his little story. I think I know who's he talking about. Around the first few days I met Droney, there was that other girl in the office that was slightly hostile towards him, "Rachel and I are the only girls." I mumbled, hoping it will help.

"And you don't even count as one." Droney's worried look immediately changed into a mocking one. Wow, well, that's a new record. His face literally just switched emotions in a blink of an eye. "Whatever, you won't understand." He dismissed, resuming our walk, "Other people are okay, but people I work with . . . Nope."

"I said I can just tell them you're busy or something." I repeated my suggestion.

"No, I'll just stay for an hour. It's for my reputation in this town anyway. Getting acquainted and shit."

"You care about that kind of thing?" I scrunched up my face. It's not really a surprise, but it's the first time I heard somebody say it outright.