Chapter 15

The day had come- April 22nd. There was no denying that Draco felt uneasily excited as he got dressed that morning. Harry had made them each a bowl of cornflakes and some orange juice and it was set on the table when Draco went into the kitchen.

They sat down to breakfast, but really saying much, both clearly a bit nervous about the appointment that was to take place.

Draco cleared away the dishes and enchanted the scrubber to wash up. He heard Harry run upstairs, he was getting the letter for the appointment.

They were finally ready, and linked arms. There was a few moments of deafening silence and then Harry and Draco's feet hit the ground, on the apparition area in St Mungo's Hospital.

Harry held Draco's hand and followed the directions displayed to get to the right floor. They reached the Infants, Birth and Pregnancy Department with 10 minutes to spare. Draco took a seat in the waiting room, while Harry went up to the front desk to make sure everything was okay.

Harry sat down next to Draco and they gripped each other's hand.

"Nervous?" Draco asked, giving his husband's hand a light squeeze.

"I guess so. But it's exciting, isn't it?"

"Yeah," Draco replied, moving his thumb in circles on the back of Harry's hand.

Draco looked around the waiting room, to see a witch, who didn't look much older than him, rocking a baby back and forth in her arms. She tickling the baby's chin with one of her fingers, causing a high-pitched giggle to cross the waiting room.

Draco almost felt jealous. He wanted a baby that he could make laugh, that he could make smile. A baby that he could love so much and look after. A baby that he would look after with Harry.

He gave his husband's hand another squeeze as he heard their names being called. The couple got on their feet and proceeded to a room were a thin, kind-faced witch was sitting in a chair on one side of the desk.

She got up and shook both of their hands.

"I am Healer Burbage, and I run the sector of the department that deals with same-sex couples wishing to have children. Please take a seat."

Draco and Harry both sat down and comfortable chairs on the other side of the desk, while Healer Burbage resumed her seat across from them.

"So, what are options?" asked Harry, who was often very forward with things like this.

"Yes, well we have a two options for you. Firstly, you could adopt. This is a process that would mean you would get a baby, but we are not entirely sure when.

"The other option is that you go through SRCC. It stands for Same Reproductive Cell Combination. It means that we take samples from each of you and combine them using advanced magical methods. We have a very short waiting list for this at the moment- so we could start it very quickly.

"The only catch is that you would need a surrogate, a woman who could carry your child for the nine months. However, the child will not have any of the surrogate's DNA.

"What do you think?"

Harry and Draco both looked at each other, as if they were reading each other's thoughts. It was Draco that said it though.

"SRCC would be the option we would like to go for."

He smiled at the doctor, who seemed very taken aback by the quick decision.

"Since you have made the decision extremely quickly, if you give your samples now, we can get started straight away."

She directed them into two separate rooms.

About an hour later, after giving their samples, Draco and Harry landed back in their living room, and kissed.

They were, however, interrupted by a polite coughing noise that came from the couch. Draco looked over to see Hermione sitting there. He pulled a questioning look at her, and she started talking.

"Well, it was getting extremely cold waiting outside your front door, do I thought I would just let myself in. But that's not why I'm here.

I was doing a bit of reading, to find out about SRCC, undoubtedly the option you chose for having kids, and found out you need a surrogate.

I asked Ron and he's okay with it. So, I volunteer as your surrogate."

She looked at them for a few moments, before she was embraced in a massive bear hug by her two friends.

"We would love you to do it!" said Draco, hugging her tightly.

Hermione smiled a large smile and disapparated.

Draco and Harry kissed again.

"This is it." Draco said, "We are going to have kids."