Chapter Fifteen

Author: I'm sorry.....! My computer was fritzing yesterday. Anyway! Here is the historical update sadly on thursday.

Chapter Fifteen

Lyla sat next to Jamie's bed, her hands working on mending one of the many shirts that sat in a pile near Morag's room. The men here seemed to believe that the older woman could do anything and everything in her old age.

The light from two candles made it easier for her to see, including the fire from the hearth, but she knew soon she would have to stop. Hearing a groan, she turned her gaze from her sewing to Jamie, whose face was scrunched up in discomfort.

Before soon, his eyes had opened and he stared at the ceiling in confusion.

She stood. "Jamie... are you okay?"

He turned towards her, hearing her voice. His pain-darkened eyes seemed to take a minute to recognize her before they widened. He made a move to sit up, only for him to wince and groan.

Lyla rushed forward and placed a hand on his shoulder and another on his stomach where they had bound his ribs. "No, you can't move yet."

"Càite bheil mi, 'bhean-uasal?" Jamie said, his voice coming out husky.

Lyla blinked before she cursed and shook her head. "Sorry... I forgot you don't speak English." She forced him to lay down and lifted the blanket to cover him. "Let me go get someone who can translate for me."

With that, she quickly left in search of Gavin. He could explain the situation to the boy, and she... she would have to start to learn the language or she'd be completely useless helping anyone else who showed up needing help.

Gavin wasnae happy. He stared at the scroll that sat opened on the desk in front him. The Maitland Laird had called for his presence for his wedding, which was ludicrous as the man was approaching his sixties.

"Will you offer for his Lassie's hand?" Alec asked, where he stood near the book shelf. "The alliance would help us against the Sinclairs if they try to make a move against us, as well as the McDougals."

Gavin's arms were stretched out in front of him and he let his finger tap in succession against the desk. "He is nae offering... The laird has demanded my presence at his wedding." Gavin grimaced, his metallic like eyes flashing. "He wishes to speak to me about an alliance, but nae Alec, he doesnae mentions a marriage."

Both men were in deep thought when the door to Gavin's personal study opened. Lyla's face was flushed as if she'd been running, her eyes were bright and her hair had come from its ribbon. Gavin stiffened when he noticed the appreciative gaze in Alec's eyes. Standing, he demanded, "Did you need something... Lyla?" He enjoyed the sound of her name on his tongue.

She straightened, released the door handle and spoke as she attempted to fix her hair. "I-I wanted to tell you Jamie is awake. I completely forgot he doesn't speak English like you do." She lowered her hand from her now fixed hair to her hips, her expression cheerful. "I was wondering if you could translate for me?" She glanced at Alec, her brow furrowing. "As long as it's no trouble... I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"

Gavin shook his head, coming from behind the desk. "Nae, we have just finished here." He nodded to Alec and walked past Lyla, who glanced at Alec, who simply gave her a smile. She returned a nervous one of her own and ran after Gavin.

They walked in comfortable silence towards the steps that led to the upper half of the keep. "Have you nae rested since caring for the boy?"

Lyla lifted a surprised expression to Gavin's before she smiled softly and shook her head. "Nope. My sister is managing his younger siblings, and Morag was cooking and helping my sister. It was easier if I stayed by his side, and it makes sense, as I'm his doc-" Lyla suddenly stopped talking. She frowned, her hand tightening in a fist in her skirts.

Gavin, hearing the pause, stopped walking and turned around to look at her. Her expression was dark, and she stared down at the floor before she lifted her head, a sad expression on her face. "I mean... I used to be a doctor... a long time ago," she whispered.

Gavin fully faced her. "What is a doctor?"

Lyla lifted her head, and as if realizing who she was talking to, her expression cleared and walked towards him, her hands behind her back. "Well... a doctor is someone who heals any and everyone from anything and everything... depending on their expertise."

Gavin nodded and then asked, "Were you a great healer?"

Lyla shrugged as they started to ascend the stairs. "I did my best mostly. I tried to be good to my patients." She paused on the top step and looked down at him. "Are you a good laird?"

Gavin, taken aback by the question, said, "Do I nae appear so, Lass?"

Lyla shrugged. She looked up towards the spider webs hanging in the corners; she would need to figure out how to get those. "Well, Morag is... doing a lot of the housework alone and... the men are not making it easy by piling dirty dishes and clothes here, rather than taking them out to be cleaned." She turned her clear gaze to Gavin. "Yes, you may be a good laird to your men, but... not right now to your grandmother." Seeing his expression, she lowered her eyes, contrite. "I'm... just speaking my mind. Don't take it to heart."

"Nae... I willnae."

Disappointed at his response, Lyla felt her shoulders droop. She tensed when a hand landed on her shoulder. "I will speak to the men tomorrow, but I cannae promise they willnae sneak their mending to her door."

Lyla lifted her face, her eyes bright as she smiled. "Sure, that's fine."

He stared down at her face that was lit with pleasure at his agreement. He had the urge to agree with anything just to see that expression on her face a hundred times. In fact, he wanted to see it again and again and kiss those lips that were quirked in a smile. And as he was the laird, and was used to getting what he wanted, Gavin didn't think twice about leaning down and stealing another kiss.

Lyla's breath caught and she tripped slightly forward, her body coming against Gavin's. Her eyes widened as his lips gently pressed against hers. His arms snaked out and wrapped around her back, its warmth and strength pulling her closer, her hands coming to rest on his shoulders.

Her body melted, as her eyes slowly closed and her senses were filled with the scent of woods, and man. She found herself growing lost. She almost pitched herself forward when she heard, "Lyla?!"

Jerking back with a gasp, she whipped around and stared up at her sister in shock, before she whipped her head back to look down at Gavin. Shaking her head, she pulled away from him and ran up and past her sister, who took chase after her, calling her name, "Lyla!"

Gavin, meanwhile, stood frustrated and mildly amused on the steps before eventually continuing on his way to the boy's room.