Chapter Thirty-Two

Author: When you've completely fallen off the horse, and are currently being stampeded over. That was my struggle for the past few weeks. Trying to get back into the swing of writing, and maintaining up dates. Luckily I was hit by a bus...and now I'm back at it. Enjoy!

Chapter Thirty-two

Lyla sat in front of a mirror, a well-beaten plate of metal that served as such. Her sister stood behind her, helping finish her hair. The gown that Morag had chosen was a sky-blue color, but plain. Yet, it'd seemed the most beautiful gown she'd seen in her lifetime.

"Are you happy?" her sister asked. Everyone had left to finish the preparations, and it was only two of them now in her room.

Lyla, who'd been lost in thought, smiled. "Yes, why? Do I look sad?"

"No," her sister said, her eyes still focused on her hair. "Just... compared to your wedding with David, this..." She trailed when Lyla started laughing. "What?! Am I wrong?!"

"No," Lyla said, calming herself down, though she couldn't help releasing an occasional chuckle. "It's true, our wedding was a beautifully expensive affair." She turned in the chair, forcing Ericka's hands to leave her hair. Reaching up, she took her sister's hand, her expression earnest. "But... in all that beauty, I was never happy."

"Lyla...," Ericka said, her voice pained.

"But that's over now," she said abruptly, turning back around. "The past is the past and should remain so. Ericka, today, we will drink, be merry and well. I'll be getting married."

Ericka stared woefully at her sister. She didn't want to lose her sister, not in a time where she couldn't return to, but if this place, people and man made her happy, then what could she do? So, she swallowed everything she'd thought to say and smiled. "Yes, and I'll be turning up."

Lyla laughed as she allowed Ericka to add the ring of flowers. It'd been hard to find some, but apparently, the kids had been determined to have her wear a coronet of flowers.

She stood and turned, facing her sister as she patted at the front of her skirts. "How do I look?"

"Pretty," Ericka said, narrowing her eyes on her waist. "Have you gained weight?"

"Oh, shut up," Lyla said, laughing. She slapped Ericka on the shoulder. "Brat."

The two were going back and forth until there was a knock on the door, and the blond head of Meg showed itself. She smiled at the sight of Ericka in a head lock. The two sisters she'd noticed truly had a boyish side to them, especially when it came to their reaction to men. Buchanan was still walking around with his bruised nose and refused to tell anyone who had managed to give him such an injury. Yet, Meg and most of the women had guessed it was Ericka, as the girl had been sending stabbing looks his way all through breakfast.

"Are you ready, Lady?"

Lyla blinked, releasing her sister suddenly. She quickly muttered a curse and started straightening her appearance. "Y-yes, I think so." Her voice shook. She looked at her hands and they were shaking. "I-it seems I'm more nervous than I thought."

Meg walked fully into the room, and stopping in front of Lyla, she placed two firm hands on her shoulder. "'Tis good. Ye're about to marry a laird. Any woman would be nervous."

Lyla nodded, but it wasn't the whole him being a laird that was making her nervous, but the wedding that was making her suddenly nervous. Still, she allowed Meg and Ericka to drag her from her chambers and towards the stairs, where Morag stood, grumpy as usual. But once they stopped in front of her, her wrinkled face spread into a smile. "Finally! Ye mean to make good mon out of my grandson."