On the train and arrival

Now the last time I'd seen any of my English family I was about six just a wee baby really not anymore, not after all I'd dealt with , aye before you go asking I was a working girl in the Glasgow docks well I had nothing else life was tuff but here I am on a train not knowing what to expect from these people down south surely no as bad as the ones behind me I said to maself oh dear how wrong was I .

The first person I met of the train was our John who had been sent for me , the greeting was friendly enough but at home they even ma aunt polly spoke a language I did not understand see I was raised to speak shelta but this rokker tounge was new to me although ma mother had spoken it in fraction .

She had also told me outside her company rokker nixies basically say nothing of who you are or a word of the romani chib. It had been ten year or more since I'd spoken any at all and most had left me for favour of English. Uncomfortable to say the least but it soon came back .

The next days breakfast was rather a lonely affair just me , polly and ada , no sign of the boys but that didn't matter to me as ada and I were to busy reminiscing over childhood days running around in fields and mud to care .

But that had been before the war everyone had changed now especially our Tommy we'd been very close when we were young but now he was this scary gangster I barely knew and couldn't fathom why .

I went upstairs to see to the children as did Ada and that's when we realised where at least one of the boys was poor Tommy was wailing like a banshee at this point , I'd seen this to often before Ada said to leave him be as the last time anyone entered his room with him in that state he'd flipped out at the whole family.

"Ada"I said turning to my younger cousin "I can do this I've dealt with this before in myself and many others" - I to had been to France as a nurse before life collapsed and what I saw will never leave me either.