preface

Dean Winchester

"Dean," Lisa started, looking anywhere but in his direction, "I know this is difficult, but please you have to understand that -"

"Understand?" Dean said, scrunching his eyebrows up, squinting his eyes out in anger, "You're going to be more than a thousand miles away. How do you think that makes me feel?" He spat out.

"What do you want me to do, Dean? This is a great opportunity to make more money!" She retorted, throwing her hands up.

"What's more important to you -- family or money?" He questioned, genuinely wanting to know the answer.

Lisa stood there, mouth agaped. She had nothing to say, and the stare that Dean pierced through her, not believing any second of this. He then scoffed, shaking his head before glancing towards the ground, "You know what? Fine -- fine!" He said, shrugging his shoulders in defeat.

Lisa stepped forward, placing a hand on Dean's forearm. "We promise to come visit," She whispered, leaning in as she did so. Dean shifted his head so that she kissed his cheek instead of his lips. Her heart stung with pain and she felt herself physically wince, but shrugged it off. Dean watched her pick up bags again, dragging the suitcase towards the front door of the house.

"Wait," Dean called out.

Lisa turned around, heart fluttering and stomach erupting with butterflies. She looked back at him in question, eyes filled mostly with hope. "Yes?"

"What about Ben?" He asked, glancing over to the window that exposed Ben sitting in the backseat of the car.

Lisa's last sliver of hope disintegrated, she cleared her throat that had slowly tightened itself. "Like I said, we promise to come visit," She sighed out, "Anything else?"

He slowly shook his head, "Bye, Lisa." Dean replied with a small frown going unnoticed.

"Bye, Dean."

Dean examined her every move. She swiftly adjusted the strap of the bag on her shoulder, tightening her grip on the suitcase. Lisa walked ever so slowly out the door, wishing that it could've turned out differently. Then, she was gone -- heading to Europe in two hours.

Dean Winchester just stood there utterly heartbroken, fighting off the pain and guilt. At least they could skype every now and then, so it wasn't a complete loss. Still, he felt ever more alone.

It wouldn't be the same. He thought of Ben as his own kid, raising him for about two years now. But seemingly as they're technically soon to be across the world, he would never get to be there for him as much as he did yesterday. And for Lisa -- although, they have been having a couple of issues in these passed couple of weeks due to money, he would sincerely miss her the most.

He wished that they could've stayed, to hold them one more time. But, it was far, far too late.

word count; 480