Chapter 19

*Sorry for the long wait, it's been so busy around here! Thankfully volleyball season just ended, so I can have more free time on weekends... provided I can finish the piles of homework I have. (: Anyway, keep reading!

Chapter 19~

(Ainsley's PoV)

 "Kyle?" I asked, incredulity laced in my voice. My heart thumped rapidly from the surge of adrenaline. In response, I sagged against the freezer until my heart rate slowed down to the normal level.

 "Yeah, hey," he smiled. For some unexplainable reason, my heart began to pound against my ribcage once again.

 "Why are you here?"

 Kyle chuckled and casually walked into the open garage. He stuck his hands in his pockets and looked at me. "I wanted to check on you because of the storm last night. Rosemary and I know that you're petrified of the-"

 At the mentioning of my best friend, I stood up straight.

 "Rosemary? Is she okay?"

 Kyle's eyebrows pulled together, scrunching in the middle of his forehead. "Why wouldn't she be?" he asked curiously, pinning his gaze on me.

 I looked away in discomfort. "No reason, I just haven't heard from her for a few days. I was just wondering if you knew what was up."

 "From what I know, she's doing fine. Although I think she might be a little under the weather."

 "I'll call her," I suggested and dug my phone out from my pocket.

 "No, don't!" Kyle boomed. Startled, my phone fell from my hand and clattered on the concrete garage floor. The battery skittered over to Kyle's feet, and the back of the phone clanked by the freezer door. I bent down to collect the pieces.

 "Why not?" I asked suspiciously. "We call each other practically every day. It's not an unusual occurence," I said, rolling my eyes slightly.

 Kyle cleared his throat and looked away from me. "Um, yeah, well she, uh... she's got a sore throat."

 "Then I should make her some sou-"

 In the middle of my sentence, my parents pulled up in their forest green Toyota Highlander. Great. Right in the middle of my subtle interrogation.

 "Where are your parents coming back from?" Kyle asked, eyebrows arched.

 "A boring benefit dinner," I waved my hand dismissively.

 "So you were alone this whole time?"

 I swallowed. "Yep..."

 His brow creased in worry. "Oh."

 "Mmhmm."

 An awkward silence settled over us both. Outside in the driveway I heard the car doors shutting and Seneva babbling. Keeping my face neutral, I prayed that one of my parents would call me to go help them.

 "Ainsley, are you in the garage?" my dad asked from the driveway. Prayer answered!

 "Yes, is there something you need?" I asked.

 "Some help with unloading would be nice. Oh and, Seneva wants to see you."

 I turned to Kyle with a blank face. "Do you want to stay for dinner? My parents won't mind." I watched his face as he debated my invitation.

 "What's for dinner?"

 "Don't know yet. Wanna raid the fridge?" I asked, fidgeting a little bit.