Chapter 20

I know this has been long awaited! CHAPTER 20 HAS ARRIVED! It's going to be completely spontaneous, as I have not written this story out on paper since about... chapter 10. Horrible, isn't it? Oh well! Hopefully my improvisation skills will be satisfying for y'all.

~Chapter 20~

 (Ainsley's PoV)

 "So Kyle, why haven't we seen you around?" My mom asked, delicately taking a bite of her baked potato. We were all seated at the table, a dinner of baked potatoes, grilled chicken with homemade salsa, and cheddar biscuits in front of us. Normally we'd have steak, but Dad was supposed to be watching his cholesterol and so Mom had substituted beef with chicken.

 I liked steak better.

 "Yes, Kyle, do tell us," I encouraged, arching a brow and watching him from across the table as I viciously cut off a piece of chicken.

 Kyle took an anxious swig of his sparkling water. "Uh, sports mainly. It's basketball season and Coach is working us to the bone. You know, prepping for championships and such."

 "If it's so important why did you go to France on vacation and miss school?" I asked with narrowed eyes.

 "Ainsley! Don't badger him, this is not a court room," Mom warned. I smirked. If only she knew that he was a suspect on trial.

 Kyle smirked. "I went to France for an emergency."

 "What emergency?"

 "My mom."

 "Your mom doesn't even live in France!"

 "She has a clothing line there and needed some help," he answered simply.

 "Yeah right," I scoffed under my breath. Mom shot me a Look and I shrugged it off.

 "This chicken is delicious, Mrs. W.," he said politely. My mom smiled warmly at him.

 "Thank you, Kyle. I'm glad you like it. We would typically have Clinton's grilled steak, but his doctor said he should be watching his cholesterol as he ages-"

 "You're not much younger than me, my dear," Dad said cheekily.

 Mom shot him daggers. "I don't look my age, at least," she retorted haughtily. And it was true. She did not look her thirty eight years.

 I rolled my eyes at their arguments that eventually led to them locking their bedroom door for a couple hours after Seneva was put to bed.

 Gross.

 Speaking of Seneva...

 I looked up to find her glaring intently at Kyle. "Chicken," she hmmphed.

 Kyle looked confused. "Um, yes, we're eating chicken..."

 "No," she rolled her eyes in exasperation and I had to admire her attitude. "YOU'RE a chicken."

 "How the hel- heck am I a chicken?" he demanded.

 Seneva sneered. "Oh, you know why," she said darkly. Kyle opened his mouth to respond but she silenced him. "And don't pretend you don't," she said chillingly.

 I choked on my biscuit. "Seneva, what are you talking about?" Mom and Dad were still lightheartedly bantering, totally ignorant of what Seneva was saying.

 Seneva's pulsing cobalt eyes swung toward me. She pointed her index finger at Kyle. "I don't like him, Ainey."

 Inside, I was smirking. I KNEW something was up with Kyle! But on the outside, I wore a mask of concerned confusion. "Why is that?"